Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anybody changed their downtube decals on their bikes? I am considering changing the "Turner" outline decals on the downtube of my new *08) Sangria Red FRX with decals where the letters are blocked in white. The frame has not been built up yet.

Does the clear coat have to reapplied to the entire frame? How are the results? I am concerned about altering the appearance, unless it looks perfect. What kind of cost would I be looking at for the work? Anybody had the decals painted on instead?

thanks homers.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Serotta b1kr said:
I am wondering if anybody changed their downtube decals on their bikes? I am considering changing the "Turner" outline decals on the downtube of my new *08) Sangria Red FRX with decals where the letters are blocked in white. The frame has not been built up yet.

Does the clear coat have to reapplied to the entire frame? How are the results? I am concerned about altering the appearance, unless it looks perfect. What kind of cost would I be looking at for the work? Anybody had the decals painted on instead?

thanks homers.
Turner decals are applied 1st surface, not under clearcoat, so you are good there. I think one of the guys on here does custom decals? JNC?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan, I am working with Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery. He mentioned that he would be working with you. Is it possible to do something like White block letters outlined in black?

Hmm, not under clearcoat? Don't the decals peel? On my Serotta, they put several coats of clear coat on top of the decals at the factory and they look awesome 4 years later.

So, if I were to change decals, how will it turn-out? I definately want the frame to look awesome, so I won't make the change unless it can be done perfectly.

thanks for the help!

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
the "Turner" decals on my '05 5-spot started to wrinkle, so i took them off. after a couple of months riding with a nekkid frame i decided to contact turner and they happily sent me another set.

check with them b4 you fork a lot of money for something that could be free and be authentic!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Serotta b1kr said:
Thanks Ryan, I am working with Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery. He mentioned that he would be working with you. Is it possible to do something like White block letters outlined in black?

Hmm, not under clearcoat? Don't the decals peel? On my Serotta, they put several coats of clear coat on top of the decals at the factory and they look awesome 4 years later.

So, if I were to change decals, how will it turn-out? I definately want the frame to look awesome, so I won't make the change unless it can be done perfectly.

thanks for the help!
I can definitely do white with black.
I had a customer clear the decals and just the entire downtube right up to the welds and it came out great. I think that he used the krylon professional series clearcoat which I use on my custom painted helmets.
The downtube decals run $12-$15 shipped and turnaround time is usually one day.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i wouldnt worry about a clearcoat. those are normally reserved for 2nd rate wet paint that tends to chip, flake and peal if left alone. turners are powdercoated which is far more durable and dont have these negitive traits.

raise yer hand if ya had a stock turner paint job go bad.......................... anyone? ................... last call ......................... didnt think so.

the cool thing is whenever yer massively expensive ($15) stickers get ganked, all ya do is slap more on and it remains perfect. same thing when yer mood changes and ya want somethin else. another $15 and ya have a whole new look. its like magic! many of us use jnc but it sounds like rufus will take good care of ya. show some pics of his work when yer all built up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
cactuscorn said:
i wouldnt worry about a clearcoat. those are normally reserved for 2nd rate wet paint that tends to chip, flake and peal if left alone. turners are powdercoated which is far more durable and dont have these negitive traits.

raise yer hand if ya had a stock turner paint job go bad.......................... anyone? ................... last call ......................... didnt think so.

the cool thing is whenever yer massively expensive ($15) stickers get ganked, all ya do is slap more on and it remains perfect. same thing when yer mood changes and ya want somethin else. another $15 and ya have a whole new look. its like magic! many of us use jnc but it sounds like rufus will take good care of ya. show some pics of his work when yer all built up.
I don't want to take any business from a fellow MTBR'er but I am able to make almost anything that you need.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
cactuscorn said:
Since you asked: My RFX ('00 vintage-pre Olympic) has a PC job that was less than impressive. It had PC flaking off the top of the seat tube pretty badly. I sent it to Olympic a couple of years ago and it has been holding up great.

·
12,942 Posts
come on...... anyone? theres gotta be 1 guy with a bad pc job. oh! did ya have somethin to say 2tne? (sorry yer 1st paint went to shyt)

·
12,942 Posts
tll: thats a roar! yers or some crap ya d/l'ed off the net?

after several excellent pieces from jnc, i contacted rufus about some art for the dhr since he has the vector files for my incomming boxxer (next week i hope) and while i was at it, i had him draw up another idea. the pre-lim stuff he sent back 8 min later looks super duper! were workin on a few details before i give it a thumbs up. ill be able to show ya some of his semi-stock and fully custom work as soon as we finish and he can ship it out.

like jay, this guy seems to be a good cat with plenty of talent. just thought id see whats on the other side of the trees this time out since i was already gettin the fork stickers done with him. hes got some big shoes to fill but so far, theyre fittin him well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent! I'll peel 'em and replace them with new ones. No clear coat makes sense, then I can always change them later.

What about the head badge? Do the 08s come with a decal or metal headbadge? Does anybody get the metal ones and install them?

thanks again, good stuff.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Sorry SSinga, Still looks better on a white frame:D :D

But I guess it doesn't really matter as neither of us still own said frames:eek:

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
S-Works said:
Sorry SSinga, Still looks better on a white frame:D :D

But I guess it doesn't really matter as neither of us still own said frames:eek:
Trying to decide what will be going on Pinky

·
12,942 Posts
'07 was the start of the new metal badge. theres 3 colors so if ya dont like the 1 that comes on yer frame, ya have options ya can order off the turner website. they will mount on any turner frame with a 1 1/8" headtube and even come with a drill bit and a torx wrench. weeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Whoa...where'd you guys get the stars-n-stripes decal??

For the OP, just order a new set of decals from Turner. Clean frame. Apply on downtube. Voila!

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Rb said:
Whoa...where'd you guys get the stars-n-stripes decal??
JNCarpenter....he did the template for my Raw Sultan as well - though I'm going with a single Turner decal (in the American flag motif) on the downtube - just as you have pictured.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts