Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Turner DHR floating brake

852 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Miko 
Jeez. Good memory.

Like Steve said, therapy components makes the best one. Brian's a cool guy and posts here under the name shock. If you've got a hadley hub, he makes a neat little kit that's well integrated.

I've been riding a DHR for almost 3 years now and I keep telling myself that I want to try one. But every time I go riding, I have so much fun on the bike I forget to order one.

I have no doubt that a floater would smooth out the bike a little bit when you need to drag your brakes but to be honest, the design really doesn't lend itself to horrible braking like some others (ie lawill). Before I got a turner, I rode Karpiel bikes which have a really rearward axle path so you can drag your brakes and feel pretty much no effect on the suspension. The DHR on the other hand arcs a little foward so some of the harsh braking people mention (in my mind at least) has more to do the bike feeling like it's hanging up a bit when the wheel is hindered by a brake. Going between these two designs really highligted the behavior for me.

Instead of getting a floater, I dropped 50lbs off of my rear shock spring and I've had no complaints at all with how the bike brakes these days.

With or without a brake arm, I've still only ridden one other bike that comes anywhere near the DHR in overall ride quality (M3). You'll be a happy camper either way.

oly said:
When I called turner Casey cave me very good explination why the DHR really doesnt need the floater. Now being on my second season on the DHR, i dont believe i'd want one.
What were his reasons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.