Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Why exactly do we need a carbon version other than its what all the cool kids are riding?
I may not ever understand this. My friends with carbon bikes seem to constantly be dealing with impact damage and cracks resulting from hitting rocks.

Not to mention they have to run rubber bumpers and tape all over their frames.

This is why I run unpainted aluminum frames. Some steel wool and metal polish fixes it right up!

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,568 Posts
Both my current Turners are raw, no need to polish them.

I hated the feeling I had when riding my Jet 9 carbon frame through tight rocky sections. I'm happier on Alu frames because of that.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
I may not ever understand this. My friends with carbon bikes seem to constantly be dealing with impact damage and cracks resulting from hitting rocks.

Not to mention they have to run rubber bumpers and tape all over their frames.

This is why I run unpainted aluminum frames. Some steel wool and metal polish fixes it right up!
U jelly bro?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I dunno, I went from an '06 Iron Horse MKIII to a SB66C. Not a very fair comparison, but even comparing my Alu TR450 to my SB66C, the Yeti is way stiffer.

I was actually asking for a buddy of mine who's due for a new trail ride. He's on an older RFX and was curious if there was a carbon Burner on the way.

Gotta admit, if one's preference is to have a carbon, and one is just around the corner, it would be nice to know before getting an alu in the brand you prefer, or jump the gun on another brand for the sake of carbon, then have the preferred brand come out with carbon 4 months later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ardent ok running tubeless? Maxxis are slooow to bring out TR versions of their standard rubber...
Haggis,

I have been running an Ardent on the rear for the last 8 months. No issues running tubeless. I like the Ardent more than the Nobby Nick on the back. I still haven't found a better front tire than the Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front though.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I almost bought a Burner, but everything else I am looking at (over 4k) is carbon. One thing you can't deny about carbon is that it is lighter. And, its supposed to be stiffer. And, its what the cool kids are riding.

I don't know about the fragility issue. I've never had a carbon bike but I've had carbon bars that seem as tough as nails. And I think I'd worry more about paint on a metal frame than dings on a raw carbon.

Turner bikes are cool, especially that they are made in America, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger when it seems other options are lighter and more "up to date".

·
Registered
137 Posts
I almost bought a Burner, but everything else I am looking at (over 4k) is carbon. One thing you can't deny about carbon is that it is lighter. And, its supposed to be stiffer. And, its what the cool kids are riding.

I don't know about the fragility issue. I've never had a carbon bike but I've had carbon bars that seem as tough as nails. And I think I'd worry more about paint on a metal frame than dings on a raw carbon.

Turner bikes are cool, especially that they are made in America, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger when it seems other options are lighter and more "up to date".
funny thing is that Turner has consistently been pushing the rest of the bike world with innovations, not following like so many companies. bushings, zerks, modern geometry, post mount brakes, etc, etc, etc. Just because the burner isn't carbon doesn't mean it isn't up to date... It will be interesting to see how many of these current 4k chinese carbon bikes are around in 10 years.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.