Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a new XC frame and have narrowed it down to either the Burner or SC SL. I'm looking for a low maintenance good value frame. The wieght of the SL is very appealing, but I wasn't sure if the four-bar was worth the weight penalty.

I ride technical single-track with lots of climbing and I currently ride a hardtail, so I'm sure either would be a big improvement.

Thanks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
stevek said:
I'm looking to purchase a new XC frame and have narrowed it down to either the Burner or SC SL. I'm looking for a low maintenance good value frame. The wieght of the SL is very appealing, but I wasn't sure if the four-bar was worth the weight penalty.

I ride technical single-track with lots of climbing and I currently ride a hardtail, so I'm sure either would be a big improvement.

Thanks.
I haven't ridden a Superlight. I understand that they are fine bikes. I ride a Burner. I know it is a great bike and that you wouldn't be disappointed, as I had similar performance criteria and bike history. You probably will like whatevr you get - most folks do...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I'm an SC fan and have had a few Superlights - You'll likely notice some flex on the SL, it's not that bad but being a racer you'll notice it. I don't own a Turner but the shop I'm at has had Specialized bikes for years and I've never really cared for the Low BB and climbing performance of their FSR/Stumpies - Not sure how comparable the Burner & Stumpy BB's heights are but I'd imagine they're pretty close and for the "Technical" parts of your ride/race you'll notice that too. - Just some random thoughts.....

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If it fits...

I say Burner all the way. It's not only much cheaper but also a much better suspension design. I rode a Superlight for a year and a half and will tell you the single pivot is not low maintenance. The rear end is flexy which causes the shock bushing to wear. If you don't keep on top of it, you can crack the pivot bearings. I did it twice. For some reason, SC doesn't believe in replaceable derailleur hangers. So if you blow out your derailleur, strip and bend the hanger, you could be looking at a new swingarm. Yes, this happened to me as well. I might just have been unlucky with my SL but nevertheless, stuff happens. Then there are the inherent design quirks of a high single pivot like brake induced suspension lockout, pedal kickback, and overall semi-active design. Mine was also a bit slack with a 4" fork but I think they have fixed that with later models.

The design may be licensed from Specialized but the Turner is much better. A well executed 4 bar Horst bike like the Burner will be fully active and provide much more traction than the Superlight especially on technical climbs and while braking. The Turner grease ports should make for easy maintenance. They come with a platform shock so pedal bob isn't a problem. The Burner is a very good frame and a killer deal right now.

·
|i|
352 Posts
Burner...I switched from a single pivot (Heckler) and noticed an immediate improvement in efficiency and plushness. The biggest improvement, however, came in technical climbs, where the fully active suspension gave me better control and traction over roots, etc. Where the Heckler bounces around, the Burner just smoothly floats over and puts constant power to the ground.

Granted, the SL is lighter and has a different pivot placement, but from what I understand, it is even less plush than the Heckler. In my experience, I just don't understand the continuing use of single pivots. The only time the suspension really worked was on descents and jumps. In climbs and braking situations, the design is pretty much worthless. What's the point?

stevek said:

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
stevek said:

Thanks.
The difference is a half a pound, max. Other than that, the Burner is a much better bike than the superlight. The Burner has a fully active suspension. The SL is a single pivot design that uses chain tension to cancel bobbing while climbing. The suspension is not fully active.

The Burner will have excellent rear braking. The SL will lock out the rear suspension while braking and skip and stutter. The Burner uses high quality bushings with zirc fittings. The bushings are far superior in wet conditions and will typically outlast the bearings that SC uses.

You'll most likely get great customer service from both companies.

This would be an easy choice for me. Get the Burner before they're all gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.