Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I may be losing some handling of my med Burner and swithched my 120 stem for a 110. At first it felt ok but I grew to miss my 120. The 110 felt upright(not a bad thing) but caused the bike to handle quicker losing some stability. I needed more attention on climbs and lost that effortlessly cruise up any hill feeling. Even decending did'nt feel as good. I guess I just like to be stretched out more. It helps me to use my upper body to flow through the trail and climb more naturally. Any thoughts welcome.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
none other than i agree with ya. my med burner is very happy with a 120 except out here where the climbs are so friggin steep so i run a 130 now. the flux also runs a 120 where most might prefer a 110. its all in the terrain isnt it? tell us what ya think in a cpl more weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
none other than i agree with ya. my med burner is very happy with a 120 except out here where the climbs are so friggin steep so i run a 130 now. the flux also runs a 120 where most might prefer a 110. its all in the terrain isnt it? tell us what ya think in a cpl more weeks.
Thanks for the reasurance. I thought I was a freak lol. Switched back to 120, time will tell. The flux in the magazine test ran a 100. That would never fit me. I am 5'9" but must have unusual proportions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
How is it when your on descents. I bought one of the last Burners at SuperHo in AZ a few months ago. The Thing is it was a small fram and Im 5'9 and running a 110mm stem now. When I descend I at times feel like im going over the bars, would a longer stem help me out. I really dont have the money too buy a new frame, at least not a turner. Just wondering if there was A way I could make the bike fit better. Maybe a higher rise on the bars also. Sorry to burst in your thread but I was just hoping for some input or help on this one. I also have a marathon sl, maybe a talas would be better. Thanks for letting me get out my frusterations from my pricey mistake.
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
RobtheBert said:
How is it when your on descents. I bought one of the last Burners at SuperHo in AZ a few months ago. The Thing is it was a small fram and Im 5'9 and running a 110mm stem now. When I descend I at times feel like im going over the bars, would a longer stem help me out. I really dont have the money too buy a new frame, at least not a turner. Just wondering if there was A way I could make the bike fit better. Maybe a higher rise on the bars also. Sorry to burst in your thread but I was just hoping for some input or help on this one. I also have a marathon sl, maybe a talas would be better. Thanks for letting me get out my frusterations from my pricey mistake.
Do you mind if I ask who sold you your frame? Being 5'9" you should be on at the smallest a med more like a large. Unfourtunately there is really no way to make the bike feel bigger, going with a longer stem will just make the over the bar feeling worse than is already is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
Do you mind if I ask who sold you your frame? Being 5'9" you should be on at the smallest a med more like a large. Unfourtunately there is really no way to make the bike feel bigger, going with a longer stem will just make the over the bar feeling worse than is already is.
It was the Supergo Mechanic that said it would fit me fine, they has a large there built up at the time and of coarse that was too big. He then said a small frame would fit me just right... I could shot that mechanic now. Because now I have to sell the frame for maybe 700 if im lucky and fork out another grand for a flux or a 5 spot. I think a 5 spot is over kill for me though. Im not a hucker.. Just a trail guy that likes to get a bit of air. Its been about 7 months with this small. I didnt ride for about 5 nmonths of it. I just got discoureged when I first got it. I just started to ride again and I'm pissed about the whole thing. Pissed at myself for not being more careful and pissed ant superho, now pwerformance..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RobtheBert said:
How is it when your on descents. I bought one of the last Burners at SuperHo in AZ a few months ago. The Thing is it was a small fram and Im 5'9 and running a 110mm stem now. When I descend I at times feel like im going over the bars, would a longer stem help me out. I really dont have the money too buy a new frame, at least not a turner. Just wondering if there was A way I could make the bike fit better. Maybe a higher rise on the bars also. Sorry to burst in your thread but I was just hoping for some input or help on this one. I also have a marathon sl, maybe a talas would be better. Thanks for letting me get out my frusterations from my pricey mistake.
This may be a long shot but my Burner came from the same SuperGo with a receipt that read size sm/md. I started to panic. I got out my tape measure and measured the top tube from center headtube to center seat tube level straight across. 23" I was relieved, it's a medium. Give it a shot. My Burner is a much better ride with a 120 stem. I also use a set back seatpost. Would a large work better for me. I rather not think about it and remain in denial.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,457 Posts
RobtheBert said:
It was the Supergo Mechanic that said it would fit me fine, they has a large there built up at the time and of coarse that was too big. He then said a small frame would fit me just right... I could shot that mechanic now. Because now I have to sell the frame for maybe 700 if im lucky and fork out another grand for a flux or a 5 spot. I think a 5 spot is over kill for me though. Im not a hucker.. Just a trail guy that likes to get a bit of air. Its been about 7 months with this small. I didnt ride for about 5 nmonths of it. I just got discoureged when I first got it. I just started to ride again and I'm pissed about the whole thing. Pissed at myself for not being more careful and pissed ant superho, now pwerformance..
Might as well make it easy on yourself and go for the trade in at Turner. $600 credit.
-OR-
Purchase a new front triangle in the right size.
 

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
I prefered a 90mm stem on the Burner. Long stems are great for climbing speeds, but steer way to slow on the DH for my liking.

When I bought my first MTB (96' GT LTS 2) the store owner put me on an 18". He looked me up and down (I'm 6'1") and said, yeah that'll fit:rolleyes:. This was back in Australia and bikes are EXPENSIVE. That GT was over $4000. :eek: I took a big hit when I sold it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,760 Posts
What rise?

bikenut316 said:
I thought I may be losing some handling of my med Burner and swithched my 120 stem for a 110. At first it felt ok but I grew to miss my 120. The 110 felt upright(not a bad thing) but caused the bike to handle quicker losing some stability. I needed more attention on climbs and lost that effortlessly cruise up any hill feeling. Even decending did'nt feel as good. I guess I just like to be stretched out more. It helps me to use my upper body to flow through the trail and climb more naturally. Any thoughts welcome.
Ive found that 10 degrees works well for climbing and descending...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
bikenut316 said:
This may be a long shot but my Burner came from the same SuperGo with a receipt that read size sm/md. I started to panic. I got out my tape measure and measured the top tube from center headtube to center seat tube level straight across. 23" I was relieved, it's a medium. Give it a shot. My Burner is a much better ride with a 120 stem. I also use a set back seatpost. Would a large work better for me. I rather not think about it and remain in denial.
Ive already measured. it was just over 22", so its a small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Might as well make it easy on yourself and go for the trade in at Turner. $600 credit.
-OR-
Purchase a new front triangle in the right size.
I wasnt aware that Turner did this. I will have to look into it and get a medium FLux or 5spot. Do I do it directly through Turner and will they trade in a Frame that they don't produce anymore?
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
Check out their website...

RobtheBert said:
I wasnt aware that Turner did this. I will have to look into it and get a medium FLux or 5spot. Do I do it directly through Turner and will they trade in a Frame that they don't produce anymore?
Or better give them a call. ANY Turner frame even if in pieces can get the discount. Before you do this I would suggest going into anyother bike shop and ask them to help you with fitting you to the bike. If you feel like you are going over the bars on the downhills I dont think a longer stem is the way to go but hard to say without seeing how you are positioned on the bike. If trying a different set-up doesnt work than you can go for the trade in.

Link is here:
Turner Trade in Policy

Good luck getting it sorted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,564 Posts
Otb

If you feel like you're going over the bars then a longer stem will make it worse. DH stems are stubby for a reason. I prefer 90 - 100mm for XC. I can still climb but going down and through rock gardens is much better that with the 120 I used to have.
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
RobtheBert said:
It was the Supergo Mechanic that said it would fit me fine, they has a large there built up at the time and of coarse that was too big. He then said a small frame would fit me just right... I could shot that mechanic now. Because now I have to sell the frame for maybe 700 if im lucky and fork out another grand for a flux or a 5 spot. I think a 5 spot is over kill for me though. Im not a hucker.. Just a trail guy that likes to get a bit of air. Its been about 7 months with this small. I didnt ride for about 5 nmonths of it. I just got discoureged when I first got it. I just started to ride again and I'm pissed about the whole thing. Pissed at myself for not being more careful and pissed ant superho, now pwerformance..
PM me a number I can contact you at, I can't make any promises but I might be able to help.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top