Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help!!!
I am looking at the Turner Burner, Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X Vs. SC Blur
I am currently riding a SC Blur. I am looking for another frame for 24 hour racing. The Blur is great don’t get me wrong but I would like a bit better climbing and less brake jack with a frame that descends like the Blur or better. Can someone please tell me the good and bad of any of these frames and give their recommendations. Thank you

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
soh316 said:
Someone please help!!!
I am looking at the Turner Burner, Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X Vs. SC Blur
I am currently riding a SC Blur. I am looking for another frame for 24 hour racing. The Blur is great don't get me wrong but I would like a bit better climbing and less brake jack with a frame that descends like the Blur or better. Can someone please tell me the good and bad of any of these frames and give their recommendations. Thank you
I responded to you in the Ellsworth forum.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
No experience with any but the Burner which with the price you just can't go wrong. Turner is introducing a 4" frame, the Flux, in '05 that is supposedly 1/2 lb. lighter than the Burner. If you're not in a hurry and can wait until next season, who knows, it might be just the ticket for the 24 HR gig. Good luck, and I'm sure others will jump in and give you their $.02 on the other frames. Also, you may want to do a search seeing as how this is a fairly common question here on the Turner boards.

Good luck,
Crash

·
THE ZOOMING ZOOMER
25 Posts
I love the my Burner

With the current prices I would get the Burner. I love the the way it handles. It seems to be more neutral it the rough stuff which could be a plus toward the end of those long races. The frame is strong and stiff as well

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time on a Racer-X in my XC racing days. I dont have a lot of Burner time. I think you should try before you buy, the RX has a longer top tube (at least in my sizes) than the Blur or Burner. I am pretty sure the RX is significantly lighter than either. I found the Blur to be too tall (no Jewel clearance!) for me.
Honestly though, would you really be faster on any of the other bikes vs the blur? The rider is the most significant part of the equation. Perhaps you could invest the money in coaching, or even better, some EPO, HgH and 'roids will have you hammering around that race course faster than Tinker! :D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The RX is about .75lbs lighter than the burner, FWIW.

I love my RX, and would have to be majorly wow'd by another frame to switch for just pure XC riding.

·
Registered
668 Posts
soh316 said:
Someone please help!!!
I am currently riding a SC Blur. I am looking for another frame for 24 hour racing. The Blur is great don't get me wrong but I would like a bit better climbing and less brake jack with a frame that descends like the Blur or better. Can someone please tell me the good and bad of any of these frames and give their recommendations. Thank you
All are top shelf bikes. As Wombat mentioned - is there really going to be a significant difference in any of them? In my expereince, anyone with any of these bikes raves about them.

By riding buddy rides a Blur, and I ride a Burner. I've noodled around on his (though it's a size too small), and you can immediately tell that there's another inch of travel back there. We both fly down the downhills with equal speed and ease. His build is lighter than mine, but we both climb equally. I don't feel he has any advantage over me, and I don't think he feels I have an advantage over him (at least concerning the bikes we ride). We probably each secretly think our bike is better than the other's.

The point? If you are looking to satisfy some innate need to "upgrade" or just need a change - take your pick. Otherwise, get a Burley kids trailer full of rocks to pull behind your Blur to gain an extra edge racing.

·
dolce
81 Posts
I have used my burner for 12 hour solo racing.
I'm certainly not a top ten finisher, just a middle of the pack kind of racer. Going around and around during a race, what I appreciate the most about the burner is it's stability or neutral handling. When you're tired this means more than anything.

I'm sure the same could be said about your other choices, it just happens that I bought a burner, threw some parts on it, put some air in the shock and fork, and it performed almost perfectly.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Had a Blur and now own a Burner....

I'd definitely say that any of those bikes you mentioned would get the job done almost equally well. If I had a well functioning Blur I would not switch it out for a different xc frame.

I owned a Blur last year and it was a fantastic bike, while it lasted. The 4.5" of travel was very plush and felt like much more. It pedaled and climbed very well. Durability was the problem. Almost all of the bearings froze on me and the shock link cracked. SC delt with the problem but there was alot of down time. The TTs on the Blur are short and would go with a larger size should I ever get another.

I've got 2 good, hard rides in on my new Burner. Super bike. Very fast and stiff. Dave was spot on with the geometry for my riding style. Fantastic climber. I'm still dialing in the rear shock. The use of bushings makes complete sense if you read Daves rational for going that route vs bearings. And grease fittings!!!!!!!!!! How cool!!!!!!!! I do have a thing for grease. I just love to grease stuff. I'm hoping this gives the Burner a much stronger edge in the durability dept. The only thing the Burner is giving up the to the Blur is that extra squish in the rear end.

Mike

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I've never been on a Burner or a Blur, (I own a 5 Spot) I will say that I had a parkinglot test of a too-small RX and even though it was seriously undersprung for my weight it still accelerated like a hardtail. I was very impressed with it's quickness. I've read the Blur is also adept at acceleration due to chain torque. You could confirm that.

As far as climbing goes, that depends on what kind of climbing you have in mind. The Turners are well known for fantastic technical climbing...rough tricky stuff. If OTOH you're talking about fast out of the saddle efforts trying to get around others in a race, that's a different dog, The Burner does quite well but the other two probably have the edge there.

As far as decending goes again the Turners really shine in this as well as controlling the rear during the decents and maintaining traction. I don't know how the other two fare in the rough climbs and decents but I can tell you the Turners do quite well in these aspects.

As the others have said you couldn't be unhappy with any of the three. I guess you'll just have to decide if the particular traits you are searching for warrant a new bike or is this just a case of UGI?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
3/4's of a pound?

Really? How much does the racer-x weigh? Most weights I've seen (unless we're talking about the Ti bolt kit etc etc) have it about ~1/4 of a pound lighter. My wife's small burner was a bit over 5.8 pounds.

Dave

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use my Burner for 24 Hour racing

I've already got 2 x 24 Hour solo races and 1 x 12 hr solo race on my Burner this summer and I am very pleased. I came off a Superlight and noticed huge differences. I'm a big guy (185lbs) and the Burner has been very stiff and responsive. Climbing is great, esp. with the propedal fox shock in the rear. Geometry is slightly more relaxed at the head tube which I find to be more comfortable over the long haul and I have a little more room for error when I am at the 18 hour mark and not too sharp. I haven't had any durability problems with my bike and like a previous poster said, the bearing in the Blur are notorious for seizing which would be a drag if it happened early in a 24 hour race. The weight of the Blur and Burner frames are fairly close I think...around 6lbs so you wouldn't be trading anything off there. I have my Burner built up to about 25lbs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. I also have time on a Yeti ASR (which unfortunately broke) which was a very comfortable bike also. The Burner beats it in durability though.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Really? How much does the racer-x weigh? Most weights I've seen (unless we're talking about the Ti bolt kit etc etc) have it about ~1/4 of a pound lighter. My wife's small burner was a bit over 5.8 pounds.

Dave
Even with the TI kit is isn't that great. According to Weight weenies a Large 2004 Burner Frame with PC rear triangle and Float R Propedal shock weighs 2812 grams. A Large 2003 Racer-X Annodized, with TI kit and superlight rear triangle comes in at 2610. So under the best case scenario the Racer-X is 202 grams or less than 1/2 pound lighter than the Burner. Realistically, it is less than 1/4 pound as Dave said.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Miker J said:
I'd definitely say that any of those bikes you mentioned would get the job done almost equally well. If I had a well functioning Blur I would not switch it out for a different xc frame.

I owned a Blur last year and it was a fantastic bike, while it lasted. The 4.5" of travel was very plush and felt like much more. It pedaled and climbed very well. Durability was the problem. Almost all of the bearings froze on me and the shock link cracked. SC delt with the problem but there was alot of down time. The TTs on the Blur are short and would go with a larger size should I ever get another.

I've got 2 good, hard rides in on my new Burner. Super bike. Very fast and stiff. Dave was spot on with the geometry for my riding style. Fantastic climber. I'm still dialing in the rear shock. The use of bushings makes complete sense if you read Daves rational for going that route vs bearings. And grease fittings!!!!!!!!!! How cool!!!!!!!! I do have a thing for grease. I just love to grease stuff. I'm hoping this gives the Burner a much stronger edge in the durability dept. The only thing the Burner is giving up the to the Blur is that extra squish in the rear end.

Mike
My Blur is a Large and seems to fit perfect. What size frame do you recommend on the Burner? I am 5'11. A medium Truth seems to fit best or an 18" Specialized. 19 seems a bit too stretched out for me. Thanks for your input. With the customer service I am hearing about with Turner I have no doubt that I am making the right choice. Do you feel faster in the climbs on the Burner than on the Blur? How about descending?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
soh316 said:
My Blur is a Large and seems to fit perfect. What size frame do you recommend on the Burner? I am 5'11. A medium Truth seems to fit best or an 18" Specialized. 19 seems a bit too stretched out for me. Thanks for your input. With the customer service I am hearing about with Turner I have no doubt that I am making the right choice. Do you feel faster in the climbs on the Burner than on the Blur? How about descending?
A large Burner would probably be correct for you. I'm around 5'8.5" and ride a mediium Spot. A buddy is 5'10" and rides a large.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts