Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Slow, Fat and Old
105 Posts
So the worst that can happen to the shooter is to be charged with "negligent hunting?" What a load of crap. I am not a hunter, but it seems logical that if you cannot clearly identify your target as a deer, you should not pull the trigger. If you shoot at something just because it moves in the woods, and happen to kill someone in the process, you should face the consequences.

·
point and shoot...
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
motobutane- I'm not big into shaving, hence the long hair. Plus, it adds a great layer of warmth. But I know...the looks do suffer.

Too many things going on in such a concentrated area despite the size of the forest around us. Nothing wrong with hunting, but do it responsibly and do it away from human activity!

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
I hunted for years when I lived in Ga. I would average about 5 deer a season and I have probably shot upwards of 50 to 65 deer, Hundreds of birds( quail, duck and dove) rabbits,squirrels and a few bears.A person knows what they are shooting at.If a person has been taught to handle a gun and has a hunting license they should be held responsible for thier actions( Manslaughter Charges yes).

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
don't they still require the hunter safety course?

motobutane said:
I hunted for years when I lived in Ga. I would average about 5 deer a season and I have probably shot upwards of 50 to 65 deer, Hundreds of birds( quail, duck and dove) rabbits,squirrels and a few bears.A person knows what they are shooting at.If a person has been taught to handle a gun and has a hunting license they should be held responsible for thier actions( Manslaughter Charges yes).
I know when I used to hunt, you had to pass the hunter safety course before you could get a license. Anyone that went through that course it taught and taught repeatedly that you don't shoot anything until you are perfectly clear what it is. Maybe things have changed but even without the course, it seems kinda like a common sense issue. I agree that it ought to be considered manslaughter.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
cruso414 said:
I know when I used to hunt, you had to pass the hunter safety course before you could get a license. Anyone that went through that course it taught and taught repeatedly that you don't shoot anything until you are perfectly clear what it is. Maybe things have changed but even without the course, it seems kinda like a common sense issue. I agree that it ought to be considered manslaughter.
In GA, yes, the Hunter's Safety Course is still required. Not sure about NC, sure it's the same there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Saturday was 'doe day'. The one day in WNC that you can take a doe. It is the one day of hunting season that I avoid the woods. Almost unbelievable to think that you could have a rifle in your hand and just pull the trigger at the first sign of movement. Anyone remember the story from a couple years ago where a young boy was shot while RIDING A WHITE HORSE by an 80 year old hunter?

·
Registered
418 Posts
NC Requires Hunter's Safety Course...

NC also requires hunters to take a safety course--the policy was instituted in July of '91. Some older hunters were 'grandfathered' at the time, but since the hunter involved in this fatality was reportedly younger than 20, s/he's been through the course. As you'd expect, the course REPEATEDLY emphasizes the need to positively identify your target and ensure that the area behind that target is free of people. I don't believe this hunter slept through all the precautionary discussions, and suspect that the hunter's inexperience and the perceived pressures of the last day of rifle season for deer contributed to the incident. Per NCWRC sources, "negligent hunting resulting in bodily injury" is only a misdemeanor charge, but I have found several reports of "manslaughter by negligent circumstances" and "second degree manslaughter" charges being filed when a fatality resulted from a hunter's negligence. I would certainly hope that the Turkey Pen incident results in something more serious than a simple 'negligent hunting' charge.

Plume, if you were in the woods of North Carolina yesterday, it wasn't a problem--NC doesn't allow Sunday hunting (unlike most of the neighboring states)--but Sasquatch's OP suggestion of wearing orange during hunting season (especially rifle season for deer) is a good one. All of us who work or play on public lands that are also open to hunting should probably pay much more attention to the various hunting seasons and requirements...

TZ

·
Registered
864 Posts
Galax Harvesting

It`s no excuse but the person killed was crawling on the ground(all fours) gathering Galax.
I work with a dude that`s an avid hunter and knows the kids family that did the shooting.
It is very tragic for all involved ...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Most tragedies don't happen because one person does one thing - rather it is a sequence of unlikely or unfortunate events all put together in the same space and time....

The best way to break that chain of events is really pretty simple when it comes to hunting accidents - WEAR ORANGE! You can buy a giant day-glo orange knit hat at K-Mart for less than $2.Put it over your helmet and you can't be missed riding through the forest. When you wear orange in the forest you are acknowledging that hunters have a right to use the forest and that you respect that right. You are making the forest safer for everyone. At Thad points out - this is tragic for all the parties involved. Do your part and wear the colors. And while you are at it get orange for your dog too - they don't stay on the trails like we do and thus run a higher risk of getting shot.

BTW - I find my interactions with hunters are either neutral or good when wearing orange. I've never had a bad hunter experience when I'm flying their flag :thumbsup:

·
WNC Native
3,999 Posts
I also agree that you are repeatedly told in Hunter's Safety course, to identify your target and it's surroundings before you shoot. Also as Thad pointed out (not an excuse) but, the guy was crawling on all fours. He couldn't have picked a worse day to be doing that without orange on. I am an avid hunter also. I've seen some very irresponsible hunting take place on either-sex day of rifle season, but if nothing else it hopefully will teach others to be more careful. Also keep in mind that the 17 year old shooter, will have to live with the fact that he accidently killed someone for the rest of his life. Sad day for all us outdoorsmen.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Called a personal curfew a long time ago, but got hung up re-discovering my old Gallery images. It was like finding a time capsule. Reading this thread made me realize that I didn't do my annual "Protect" post.

Orange is the new brown?

Regardless of the circumstances - sad new for the families.

Attachments

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
It is easy to buy blaze orange for people but I had a hard time finding something suitable for my dog. I ended up finding a "Remmington Youth Safety Vest" at an unspeakable store that fits my dog perfectly with a few easy modifications. Total cost: $4. Here is my dog wearing it with his pack but it also fits well on its own:

Photobucket

This is a tragedy for sure. Wearing blaze orange this time of year is more than a good idea.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
thadthetroll said:
It`s no excuse but the person killed was crawling on the ground(all fours) gathering Galax.
I work with a dude that`s an avid hunter and knows the kids family that did the shooting.
It is very tragic for all involved ...
First, I think it sucks that the news story identified the victim as "a Hispanic man." Would they have said "a white man" if that was the circumstances?
Secondly, in my own completely hypocritical way, I did some stereotyping myself as soon as I saw the story and said "galax hunter, guarantee it" to my wife.
Crappy story all the way around.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Deer season is over for us in the western zone.
The northwestern zone ends Dec. 20 and ends Jan 1 everywhere else, as does bear season.
This is why I never buy a white helmet, looks to much like a deer tail bobbing through the woods.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.