Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tunnels are great. on bike paths, abandoned railroad beds, abandoned roads, even in-use roads. if there's a tunnel near where i'm going, i love riding through it. post up your pics of tunnels!

on a bike path in palmer, ak(taken today)

abandoned railroad bed in NJ

kinda random tunnel in the woods under a highway and some rr tracks in nj.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I ride through a tunnel under highway 160 in vegas once or twice a week. You can see the floor of the tunnel in this pic. A month or so later there was a downpour and gravel filled this tunnel enough that you couldn't ride through, you had to get off the bike and push it through while you duck walked. :D

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
A natural tunnel. I posted this up on a local board and someone said it looked like pure evil. There's some really nice mountain laurel tunnels at this place, some even more defined (and far less straight) than this one.

No pics, but there's a tunnel on a ride around here that goes under 6 lanes of highway (3 each way), breakdown lanes and median strip. I have no idea how long that tunnel is, but when you start on one end, you can just barely see the light at the other end. Its very disorienting to ride through it.

John

·
Registered
453 Posts
sean salach said:
here're a couple more from the abandoned Pennsylvania turnpike.

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that tunnel and that section of road at one point part of a now-abandoned race track? no tunnels around here to ride through or get pics of, sadly

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is one of the best tunnels I biked through, it's called "tunnel du parpaillon".
It's in france at an altitude of 2645meters (8678feet)
I didn't know such a long tunnel would be there in the middle of nowhere. luckily I had my bike light. it felt very surreal.

this is the other side

going back (near the entrance), you can't see the other side because of the curve of the tunnel (you climb a couple of meters in the tunnel and then down again)

almost halfway

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
michael 78: that's friggen awesome! how did you arrive at this tunnel?

Slyp Dawg: i don't know if there was ever legal racing on it, but it was at one point part of the main east/west highway in the lower 48 states, rt 76(i think). they closed it down and rerouted when traffic got too much for two lane tunnels. there are two tunnels on this section of it. it's now open to non-motorized use. it's kind of surreal riding wherever you please down the center of an abondoned super-highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove my car to the village of crevoux, then I pedalled the last 10km (and 1000m. of altitude). it's a double track, so it's not technically dificult, just continuously steep.

this is when you look back from the entrance of the tunnel

I almost crashed into these guys when I came back down

later I found out that it's also popular with motorcyclists and 4x4's you can find some films by them on youtube

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Trails are tangled with rails

There's a ride in Pisgah called Kitsuma where you take an old closed road up which is intertwined with the crazy looped railroad. You cross them, but NO, you dare not go through these. Ppl (1?) have been killed by real trains that come through frequently...

... and here is the related mtb content...

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Jisch said:
A natural tunnel. I posted this up on a local board and someone said it looked like pure evil. There's some really nice mountain laurel tunnels at this place, some even more defined (and far less straight) than this one.

John
Looks like Fangorn, forest of the Ents from Lord of the Rings.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
There is a tunnel near me which is at the latham bike path in latham ny. I don't have any pics of it, but i will take some the next time I am out that way. There is also a very famous train tunnel by the name of the hoosic tunnel which is located in north Adams mass which is where I go to school. Like 40 hills post, you would dare not to ride in this one as it is also still in use by csx railways, and it just would not be a good idea. It also goes on for 4.5 miles, so it is quite a bit long for a tunnel. I also think that if you were caught trespassing, you would also get a fine. Here is some info on the hoosic, and a video for those of you who care.
http://www.boudillion.com/hoosac/hoosac.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.