Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know if that trail is open. I've heard a lot of SB trails got closed down in the fires but I haven't seen to much about what has opened back up. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great. I'd hate to make the drive to find out its all closed up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tunnel is closed. still healing..(was up there 3 weeks ago).
I suggest you hit Cold Springs...with the recent rains, the run
should be interesting......

Wait for locals to chime in with more, detailed info.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,927 Posts
southtahoedownhiller said:
I am heading down on 4-20 or 4-21-2011 and want to ride the tunnel trail. Is it open? Does any one want to set up a shuttle? :thumbsup:

This might come across as harsh but the answer to your question is three posts above...

zark said:
Its still closed until June, give it time bro.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
bankerboy said:
This might come across as harsh but the answer to your question is three posts above...

This might come across as harsh, but the answer to your statement is 3 posts above. :D

This thread was started in 2-11-2010. :thumbsup:

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,927 Posts
You are absolutely correct. My mistake. Sorry about that. Missed that whole year thingy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
southtahoedownhiller said:
So do you know if it is open? Last year it was not open yet I saw that.
Yeah man it's open. I can ride after 5pm on the 20th if you need someone to shuttle with.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Tunnel is " NOT OPEN" what part of that do you people not
understand. When you ride a closed trail it may stay closed.
Please don't ride closed trails.

Best, John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you tell me why? Is there any thing that you can ride? I still have 10ft of snow so all of my trails are closed. I am coming down for a concert and was going to bring my bike to ride some trails. So what's up?

·
Professional Troll
2,650 Posts
John Kuhl said:
Tunnel is " NOT OPEN" what part of that do you people not
understand. When you ride a closed trail it may stay closed.
Please don't ride closed trails.

Best, John

Uhhhh, since when is tunnel closed? What part of "it's not posted anywhere" do you not understand? I can find no mention of a tunnel closure on any of the main websites. Nor is it posted at either trail head (as of last week), I've seen tons of hikers and bikers on it recently. I sense a troll.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
No troll here. It is and has been my understanding that Tunnel has
been and is closed. It may reopen around June or July. I ride this area
often and talk to the rangers quite a bit. Why it isn't posted I don't know.
Since my understanding is that its closed I don't ride there. If it makes
you feel better than by all means don't let me stop you. I'm just passing
on what I've heard.

Best, John

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Okay, okay I totally screwed up.When I hear Tunnel
I think Tunnel Trail at PQ in San Diego. Very sorry for
all the bad info. The Tunnel Trail is a hot topic in SD.

Best, John

G

·
"Does any one want to set up a shuttle"

Earn your turns, brother. Gibraltar is a gorgeous ride up and gets your legs warmed up for the fun stuff.

·
Professional Troll
2,650 Posts
miwuksurfer said:
"Does any one want to set up a shuttle"

Earn your turns, brother. Gibraltar is a gorgeous ride up and gets your legs warmed up for the fun stuff.
Are you retarded? Or just a troll?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the suggestion of riding Gibraltar first if you're gonna drop tunnel. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's quite doable as I do it several times a year and see others as well. Maybe this is a slippery slope into a XC vs. DH discussion (I'm supportive of both groups actually), but that climb up Gibraltar gives you views that rival any place on earth. Shuttling it is missing out on half the fun, and 90% of the exercise.

There's room for both, but thinning the crowd by riding UP instead of shuttling it from time to time seems like a great idea for the long term viability of having a MULTI use Mission Canyon trail system.

BTW...activism alert: There is a new trail maintenance group in the area that has made getting bikes off tunnel trail it's highest priority (I ran into them last week). We need to stick together as a group so that these folks don't succeed at appropriating public resources for their own selfish purposes.

All IMHO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts