Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today (Sat) was the first US Forest Svc work day out at Tunnel/Otero. Since Notaknob is busy out at Moab, I thought I'd fill in for him. Turned out to be a good day and we cut in 1/2-3/4 of new single track in 4 hrs.

If you missed it, fret not! Tomorrow (Sunday 29 Apr) you can meet up at 0930 at the Tunnel parking lot for Day II.

The obligatory US Gov safety briefing before getting our PPE

After a 5 min hike up we started cutting in trail

Busting out small pine & juniper trees by hand is a good workout

Teamwork!

Why we do it... MOAR SINGLETRACK!!!

These stubs don't remove themselves, unfortunately

SKerry rocks

Where we came - Tunnel Trailhead somewhere behind & below the yellow hardhats

Where we're headed - somewhere over the peak off to the far left by the end of the summer

Happy Trails

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Thanks for contributing some sweat equity Nate. The Moab trip was planned long ago to coincide with the car show. I'll be out there for the next work session.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for contributing some sweat equity Nate. The Moab trip was planned long ago to coincide with the car show. I'll be out there for the next work session.
Es no problemo, I was happy to contribute. Have fun, see ya when you get back, bro.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just another reminder, if you want to give a hand, tomorrow (Sun) is Day 2. Just meet at the Tunnel parking lot at 0930.

Reactions: AndyN

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm sore as heck from all that manual labor, so I'm self medicating with a growler of La Cumbre's Chew & Swallow Oatmeal Stout and ibuprofen.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nate,

Thanks for all the hard work today. I think we had a total of 15 folks out and that was no easy digging so drink up! BTW - Cheers through the interweb, I'm enjoying a SKA IPA at the moment.

If we keep making progress like that, we'll be riding this thing before the summer is over!

Cheers,

Kerry

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers!

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Kerry, better start lining up more projects for this summer.

Bob
Unless hella peeps show up to build trail, this one is gunna take all summer.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
360 Posts
We had 7 volunteers today and got one of the climbing turns done (big berm to carve on). Once we finish the other turn, we'll start forging ahead. Hope to see some big groups out next month!

Thanks for the help everyone.

K

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've heard from Tom Mayer that there is an old trail from the quarry along this ridge. Would this be in the vicinity?

Anyway, good work. I've always thought the views up there would be great.

Thanks everyone!
There are what I believe a few odds and ends up there but not anything I'd really call a trail with maybe the route straight up the drainage. The new trail will use some old stuff but for the most part it will be all new. Unfortunately I couldn't route it on top of the ridge due to DOD boundary (in one place it cuts straight down the mountain). However, there's some really cool views and riding in what we'll be putting in (and possibly another trail way off in the future that would hit the ridge going north..).

·
Registered
156 Posts
We had a great crew on Sat and really busted out some trail. Sorry I couldn't make it out today. I had to do a work thing. Im in for some future dates though. I wanna ride it!

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Tomorrow and Sunday's another work day on this trail. I'll be out there representing the various interests I have (mainly my own). Hope to see some other riders out there!

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Haha. All mountain biking related????
Hey, they dropped those charges. I'm as pure as the driven snow since the beginning of March. Don't believe any of that crap the Bandos say. They're just after me lucky charms.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts