Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2006 888 RC2X fork overhauled and I have to start tuning it again from scratch. This time I would like to do it right and I am trying to do it a little more carefully and systematically.

1) Set sag: Is that even possible on this fork? My understanding is that the two ribbed knobs on top of the stanchions control the air volume on top of the oil and are do not change spring preload on the 2006 model (unlike the 2008). Is that correct? Can the spring preload be changed internally or externally?

2) Set rebound and low-speed compression: I understand the RC2 knobs on the right side of the fork. No problem there.

3) Set high-speed compression: This is the X cartridge in the left leg. Is this actually a high-speed compression damper or is it just a position-sensitive low-speed compression damper? In other words, does it work throughout the fork stroke or only towards the bottom of the stroke in the form of additional compression damping?

4) Tweak oil-height to achieve proper ramp-up at end of stroke: Use the "virtual oil height" knobs on top of the stanchions to dial in desired ramp-up. Is there any advantage in dialing in different heights on the two legs? I could imagine being able to modify the shape of the ramp-up curve by using different volumes (kind of like air shocks with multiple positive chambers to beef up the mid-stroke support).

Any suggestions, information, or thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have the same fork, same year etc. How much do you weigh? The stock medium springs are usually pretty close as far as sag goes. You can try different springs if you like, you can even mismatch them, one soft, one medium etc. The x compression effects the compression at the last part of the stroke, not throughout the entire stroke. As far as oil height goes if you are under 200lbs then 220ml is a good starting point in each leg. Just remember that other variables such as oil weight play a huge role in performance. What type of oil did you use? I found that the stock marzocchi oil is crap, it is the same as golden spectro and is about 7.5 wt. Pegasusracing.com has Red Line oil for good prices. It is the best oil that I have used so far. You can even mix the 10 wt and 5 wt to get 7.5 wt if you want. I am on the light side-145lbs, so I run 220 ml of 5 wt. If you need more x compression you can run 10 wt in the left leg, I do that with my 66.
As far as preload the 06 has the red preload adjusters at the top of the fork. The virtual oil height you are thinking of is the VA system in the 07 models. So unless I am wrong the 06 preload adjusters are just for mechanical preload.
Did you get new seals also? I just rebuilt mine and was curious as to how long it took before the seals set up and stopped leaking. Hope this helps.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I own that same fork and I'm 165 lbs. I run no preload - those knobs control both preload and volume. 2 turns in HSC (upper left), and 4 or 5 clicks in for LSC (lower right). A lot of people I know run HSC full open, but it does help the end stroke progression when landing drops. I set the LSC to minimize dive but still be smooth.

Marzocchi told me the levels should be 190mm +/- 10mm, which is where mine is set.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.Danno. said:
I own that same fork and I'm 165 lbs. I run no preload - those knobs control both preload and volume. 2 turns in HSC (upper left), and 4 or 5 clicks in for LSC (lower right). A lot of people I know run HSC full open, but it does help the end stroke progression when landing drops. I set the LSC to minimize dive but still be smooth.

Marzocchi told me the levels should be 190mm +/- 10mm, which is where mine is set.
Great info in this thread so far. I am also 165lbs out of the shower so these will be very useful starting settings.

I have found conflicting information on the X cartridge: is it or is it not a high-speed compression damper? My understanding is that it is more of a low-speed compression damper that kicks in towards the bottom of the fork stroke than a true high-speed compression circuit; so more position dependent than shaft-speed dependent.

Am I way off?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I took everything apart and the bigger groove is facing up on the oil seals. Is this the right way? Here are pics.
Bigger groove up:

bigger groove down:
Also I was mistaken about the preload knobs, by increasing preload you are reducing the amount of air. Also you are right about the x compression, it is more position dependent than speed dependent.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sugar_Brad said:
Nobody has responded and I had some free time so I decided to flip the seals just to see. FYI the bigger groove faces down, the leak is fixed.
Brad,

I had checked the Marzocchi "documentation" (service manual for the 888) but it did not even mention that the two sides are different. Glad to hear that you were able to track the source of the leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.