Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bring my bike in for a tune up. I get my bike back, the tires are pumped all the way up, lever are not adjusted to my liking, more like THEIR liking. Why do they pump my tires up all the way? Do they think I will hit trails with 65 pounds of air in my tire? WTF? Levers- i had them perfect, then they adjusted them..........WTF?


/end
 

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They adjusted brakes, derailures, trued wheels and hubs.....maybe something else. But yeah, the tires are as hard as a rock...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Dunno sounds strange. I like to do my own maintenance that way you can avoid these situations and can have the bike set up just like you want.
If you are just adjusting stuff you shouldn't have to undo the leaver clamps. I would assume a shop would fill the tires to 40 psi. It is tough to tell psi without a gauge.
 

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it doesn't help that I'm very very picky when it comes to things being set up. Everything has to be perfect.

How far does everyones lever travel before the brake grabs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
My brakes travel about half way. That's a preference thing. But yeah, I do my own maintenance. Only thing I don't do is work on my forks cause I have no idea what I'm doing. That too is probably something i should learn.
 

·
canuck
Joined
·
695 Posts
OMG run around crying

I know what you saying though.

when ever I do a tune up I fill the tires to max psi, usually I expect the customer to set it where they want it after or I'll do it on request.

usually on a tune up the brakes are hosed, so I set them up to oem positioning.

98% of customers complain if their tires don't pass the squeeze test of rock hard. The other 2% percent know how to adjust air pressure to suite the trail...
 

·
you never can tell
Joined
·
65 Posts
A number of years ago I found myself in a shop and the guy was working his last day there. I witnessed him filling the tires of a bike with water. :skep: It took him longer than you might think. Anyway, the owner of the bike turned out to be the owner of the shop. :eek: I was hired to replace said employee. Needless to say I have NEVER filled tires with water. The drinking tube would keep getting wound around the hub.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,763 Posts
Did you really measure the psi or is that just your wild guess?
 

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
Joined
·
8,609 Posts
I haven’t taken my bikes to a mechanic in quite some time… except for the Shimano Alfine rear hub (internally-geared) overhaul 200 miles ago. For everything else, it’s up to my abilities. Once you’ve mastered installing a steerer tube/headset, or a bottom bracket, you’ve pretty much hit the summit. The more tinkering on your own bikes you do, the better off you are financially… and if there is a ****-up, you can only blame yourself! :madman:
 

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I haven't taken my bikes to a mechanic in quite some time… except for the Shimano Alfine rear hub (internally-geared) overhaul 200 miles ago. For everything else, it's up to my abilities. Once you've mastered installing a steerer tube/headset, or a bottom bracket, you've pretty much hit the summit. The more tinkering on your own bikes you do, the better off you are financially… and if there is a ****-up, you can only blame yourself! :thumbsup:
fix't!

ps...heyyy - how come you're allowed to say Fcuk!?(c/u swapped)!?
that's not fair!
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top