Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting the new Tune Bigfoot Crankarms with their Sixpack Bottom Bracket, the one with the six sided spindle.

Has anyone had any experience with this setup? Is it any better than the old square taper design? It kinda looks like it uses the same size bearings as an ISIS spindle.

Also, does anyone know where to get these in the US and about how much they cost?
I thought about the Extralight E-bones but I want something with the 5 arm compact spider so I can run a 20, 30, 42t setup. Storck is just too expensive for me for now.
 

Attachments

·
Faller - Expert Class
Joined
·
647 Posts
Tune contact info...

Hey there,

Here's what I did when I was originally looking at the Tune crankset and bottom bracket, although I've pretty much decided on the Extralite setup.

The US distributor for Tune is Jeremy and Sarah Parfitt at Alchemy Bicycle Works. Their email addy is [email protected]. Their contact number is (505) 983-4241. When I emailed them, they responded pretty quickly with the Tune pricelist. I can't remember how much the cranks were, since I seem to have deleted the pricelist. I'll poke around a bit to see if I can find it.

Another place you can look is www.poshbikes.com. They have them, but they are overseas.

Here is the link to the page of Tune distributors for numerous countries.

http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php?lang=gb&ebene=0&nr=3&new=

Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I'll give Alchemy a call or send em an email.

How'd you end up liking the Extralites? I thought about them but I'm hoping to find some thing with a five arm spider like tune or possible stronglight rockstrongs or some next lps if I can find them on ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Hit up Nino... Although he's in Switzerland he can get anything Tune (amongst other light weight goodies) and with the best price by far. I've bought many things from him without any issues. Just an FYI!

Oh yeah, the Tune crank you're referring to is the FastFoot, not the BigFoot. The difference being is the BigFoot is the older model and is square taper, the FastFoot is the newer model with their own proprietary interface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i didn't realize i messed that up until after i posted. I'll probably go with the square taper Bigfoot so I'm not stuck with a brand specific BB
 

·
Faller - Expert Class
Joined
·
647 Posts
Haven't ordered yet...

BOhNSAI!!! said:
I'll give Alchemy a call or send em an email.

How'd you end up liking the Extralites? I thought about them but I'm hoping to find some thing with a five arm spider like tune or possible stronglight rockstrongs or some next lps if I can find them on ebay.
I haven't ordered the Extralite crankset as of yet. Most likely right after Christmas.

Keep us posted on how you like the Tune's once you get them! Or, let us know what you decide to go with if you decide to try something different!
 

·
Faller - Expert Class
Joined
·
647 Posts
You could try these...

Haven't quite heard any reviews on 'em, but I was once considering to try these out. The guy is based out of Chicago and says he's been building carbon components for over 10 yrs. Who knows, I may try these on one of my other bikes. He does have 100% feedback at least! These also come with the chainrings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fiber-MT...202611309QQcategoryZ56193QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
psinsyd said:
Haven't quite heard any reviews on 'em, but I was once considering to try these out. The guy is based out of Chicago and says he's been building carbon components for over 10 yrs. Who knows, I may try these on one of my other bikes. He does have 100% feedback at least! These also come with the chainrings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fiber-MT...202611309QQcategoryZ56193QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:cool:
The following line: This product is designed to accommodate the Shimano spline "Octalink" bottom bracket system (the Shimano XTR M950-953 series, as well as the Shimano spline XT bottom bracket) doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, given that it can be compatible with one or the other, but not both!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
I don't know what they cost in the U.S. but you can also compare prices with Gypzybikz.

Gypzybikz

There's already 16% tax included in their prices which you can take off since you don't live in the EU.

I have the Bigfoots (square taper) and they are great. The silver (clear) finish is probably the best choice if you want them to look great for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
eurorider said:
I don't know what they cost in the U.S. but you can also compare prices with Gypzybikz.

Gypzybikz

There's already 16% tax included in their prices which you can take off since you don't live in the EU.

I have the Bigfoots (square taper) and they are great. The silver (clear) finish is probably the best choice if you want them to look great for a long time.
Great source but still expensive... Not quite as expensive as Poshbikes but still pricey for us over here on the wrong side of the pond. ;) I've ordered several things from them with no hiccups though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
I would never buy from Poshbikes but I agree, even at Gypzybikz, the price is still high. What do they cost in the U.S.? I thought Tune hubs were more expensive to buy in the U.S.; don't know about the cranks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
eurorider said:
I would never buy from Poshbikes but I agree, even at Gypzybikz, the price is still high. What do they cost in the U.S.? I thought Tune hubs were more expensive to buy in the U.S.; don't know about the cranks.
Well, that's the thing... You really can't find Tune parts here in the US. There are a couple that can get Tune but that requires a long wait due to them not having anything actually on the shelves and they're still priced rediculously high. This is why I go through Nino... Best price and good delivery time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
want a beer?

jakeplazma said:
Well, that's the thing... You really can't find Tune parts here in the US. There are a couple that can get Tune but that requires a long wait due to them not having anything actually on the shelves and they're still priced rediculously high. This is why I go through Nino... Best price and good delivery time.
thanks;)
i'd also go with the square version. with the sixpack BB you are stuck. they say the sixpack design ads rigidity but tests have shown it doesn't...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
nino said:
thanks;)
i'd also go with the square version. with the sixpack BB you are stuck. they say the sixpack design ads rigidity but tests have shown it doesn't...
No, thank you! And the next time you're in the States i'll take you up on that offer... After a good XC ride!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
ok...

jakeplazma said:
No, thank you! And the next time you're in the States i'll take you up on that offer... After a good XC ride!
but no Bud light;)
 

·
Faller - Expert Class
Joined
·
647 Posts
Tune price list

Just found the price list I mentioned above and the prices are...

FastFoot cranks - $310.00
6pack Ti BB - $240.00

The list doesn't have the BigFoots on it.

Later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sent Alchemy an email and they responded very quickly. Don't know if they offer the bigfoot (square) version or not. yeah the price of the sixpack scares me, not to mention the size of the bearings (or should i say lack there of)

Nino: can you get this version? thanks
 

·
Faller - Expert Class
Joined
·
647 Posts
Ouch!

eurorider said:
I use the Bigfoots with a $90 Action-Tec BB and it works like a charm. That 6-pack BB is mighty expensive!
Yep, a $240 bottom bracket more than hurts!! :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top