Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Thicc Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are some of the boutique brand hubs you don't hear much about. Anyone use them? The blue freehub means only 27 poe, correct?

Due to my stringent hub requirements for this build, the options are a bit slim:

light, CL, 32h, 148, XD.

A DT 350 can't be shipped from Europe for $150 like in the past, so if I'm going to spend $200+ on it then I might as well get a cool hub.

· Registered
165 Posts
These are some of the boutique brand hubs you don't hear much about. Anyone use them? The blue freehub means only 27 poe, correct?

View attachment 1941366

Due to my stringent hub requirements for this build, the options are a bit slim:

light, CL, 32h, 148, XD.

A DT 350 can't be shipped from Europe for $150 like in the past, so if I'm going to spend $200+ on it then I might as well get a cool hub.
They are much better than a DT 350.

Very good bearings, servicing is not too difficult, light weight. If I understand correctly "blue" is for standard bearings and "yellow" is for endurance (extra sealing/grease). The MTB hubs seem to be 3 pawl only, however on road hubs they do offer 6 pawl.

Read the spec beforehand, in particular the spoke lacing as well as the maximum system weight. Nothing special, just useful information.

· West Chester, PA
5,015 Posts
294g for the WI... Doesn't say which freehub version that is though. 220g for the Tune. I don't got the will or the patience to worry about a hub that light and that expensive remaining durable for me, not to mention parts availability and the crap engagement. But if 2.5 ounces is king, then it is what it is. 👍

· Thicc Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered it because of bling but I would also like to know how it is better than a DT350. 40g lighter? No special tool required to replace the drive side bearing? Here's how it's not better: DT has easily replaceable ratchet mech, easily upgradable ratchet mech, plentiful freehub bodies for whatever cassette you want, parts are easier to get in North America. EXP excluded, of course.

· Registered
165 Posts
I ordered it because of bling but I would also like to know how it is better than a DT350. 40g lighter? No special tool required to replace the drive side bearing? Here's how it's not better: DT has easily replaceable ratchet mech, easily upgradable ratchet mech, plentiful freehub bodies for whatever cassette you want, parts are easier to get in North America. EXP excluded, of course.
Lighter, better bearings (I believe). Bearings are what really matters. But weight matters too, 40 g here and 40 g there and pretty soon you have a light set of racing wheels! I do have a set of 240s as well. They are light as well. I would have taken another set of Tune, but I wanted a matt black color.

As nice as as the DT Swiss mechanism is, in reference to servicing, it's not rocket-science to service a feehub. And it's also something I neglect as much as possible. YMMV.

· Thicc Member
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my ClimbHill built up. The three pawl mechanism is very close to being in phase. I'd say it is twice as close to perfection compared to my White Ind hubs. It's also pretty quiet.

Weighed 230g

One thing I forgot about was preload adjust. This design doesn't have that so I'll be careful with my axle tension. That's one thing I like about Syntace and WI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.