Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...recently having some trouble with my Jabberwocky and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I have a standard quick release hub. Just bought a Surly Tuggnut and I'm also using the Jabbernuts on each side, yet with a good stiff braking, the wheel slams brake side in the triangle.

As far as I can tell nothing is moving but the wheel still moves. I've also tried two different skewers and that didn't change anything.

I'm hesitant to really crank or over tighten the quick release because I don't want to wear out the rear triangle. Maybe I shouldn't worry about that?

Any other ideas?

·
Robtre
706 Posts
Had this problem too. I bought a bolt on rear hub from Hope. No problems since. There are a bunch of bolt on hubs out there.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
it should be physically impossible for the axle to move past the Jabbernuts. is it possible that the Jabbernuts are rattling loose and moving away from the axle? you can treat them with a light threadlocker to keep them from rattling loose.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be impossible but I'm not even riding it when it happens. Like I tighten everything. Get it snug. Think to myself "no way it will happen again". Go out to the sidewalk, pedal 3 times, brake, bonned. Start over.

It's baffling me. That's why I turned to the wise minds of the internet.

·
Robtre
706 Posts
My axle slippage bent my Jabbernutz and almost ruined my frame. i had to dremel the bent end out of the dropout and then back out the rest of it. Bolt on hubs or nutted axle hubs will not slip.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,209 Posts
use two tuggnutts

or get a 15mm bolt axle and be done

I have never been able to make a skewer work on an SS and all I see are failures
but 15mm bolt and tuggnutt never slips

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The disc brake causes the left side to slip back. A tuggnut doesn't do anything to stop that.

Remove paint from the forkends and use a Shimano XT skewer. This recipe stopped my slippages entirely and is widely recommended. I stopped using the Tuggnut as it is no longer necessary.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Saul is 100% correct. This setup works best with Shimano XT skewer or Crank Bros skewer. I use the CB on my Jabber with jabbernutz only (no tug nut needed) and have not had one issue, and have not removed paint. I tighten it pretty dang tight, but with the CB Dual Lever style that is not an issue. Plus with Crank Bros you can get different colors for some personalization!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
SL speaks the truth. Braking forces cause the brake side to slip backwards in the drops. I had XT skewers on my Jabberwocky and didn't experience any slippage. $20 on ebay.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Agree with 3 above, as soon as I changed skewers I had zero issues. DT swiss ratcheting skewers are the option I went with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tom, with Vassago, recommends the use of an XT skewer, if you use a QR skewer.
I am using the Delta Axelrodz for the rear and haven't had a problem yet. I only have about 50 miles on my Jabber though.

However, the drive side Jabbernutz threads have become jacked for some reason and I need pliers to adjust it. Not sure what happened there. Maybe there was a little slippage and pressure from the axle bent the Jnutz?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QR skewer in horizontal dropouts = No bueno.

If you are dead set on SS, get a dedicated SS rear hub. If you are running a loose-ball hub such as a Shimano, it is fairly easy to swap the axle to a solid through axle to convert it to a bolt on. I would never feel good about using any QR in any horizontal dropout. If you absolutely must use one, I would recommend the DT RWS skewer. I used a bolt on skewer, like ********** said, in conjunction with a Surly Tuggnut on my KM for a bit but it was only used in a bind and I never felt really good about it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Dave-your method will work just fine. I have used the Crank Bros skewer (uses same theory as XT) and in over a year of hard riding have not had one slip ever. I guess it depends on what you want or need.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If XT doesn't work you can try a cheap steel QR

Such as ones on older road bikes with horizontal dropouts. But there is a weight penalty *gasp*

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Got the XT skewer and in some light testing near my house, it seems to have fixed the issue.

I plan to really put it through the paces this weekend to see if it's indeed solved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Get a nicer skewer like everyone is saying. Simple and quick. I usually run tuggnuts if I am going to be single speeding on some big hills, or hitting a lot of jumps, just in case. But I have not had an issue since I got a nicer skewer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts