Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**FINISHED** Tuesday night: Ride or Build?

The deal I have with the wife is that Tuesday nights are my night to ride (Wed is her night to do whatever it is that women do?:skep: ) However, I just got his thinig faced & chased so do I ride or build?

Attachments

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
arkadi said:
Ride now, build while she is off on wednesday doing whatever it is that women do.
Very logical reply. But I left out that we have 2 young kiddos (2 & 4 yrs) so there is absolutely no way to get things done while watching the kids. Heck its a challenge just getting them fed, bathed & to bed...without building a bike.

Truth is I think I'll go ahead and build. I did a long marathon (87mi) event this weekend and I'm still shot from it. I figure the rest would be good and I may be canabalizing a few parts.

G-live: I think you've got the right idea but sometimes I'm and all or nothing kinda guy. I'll post up some finished pics when its done.

Later,
CJB

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Please

CBaron said:
Very logical reply. But I left out that we have 2 young kiddos (2 & 4 yrs) so there is absolutely no way to get things done while watching the kids. Heck its a challenge just getting them fed, bathed & to bed...without building a bike.

Truth is I think I'll go ahead and build. I did a long marathon (87mi) event this weekend and I'm still shot from it. I figure the rest would be good and I may be canabalizing a few parts.

G-live: I think you've got the right idea but sometimes I'm and all or nothing kinda guy. I'll post up some finished pics when its done.

Later,
CJB
Please be careful when builing not to scratch that paintjob. It is the exact paint job I have had in my head since the first time I saw one of those car builder episodes with real fire paint jobs. :cool:

Who painted that and I do not want to know how much it cost.:eekster:

G

1,420 Posts
CBaron said:

Later,
CJB
Ride tonight and build after the kids are put to bed.

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
G-Live said:
Please be careful when builing not to scratch that paintjob. It is the exact paint job I have had in my head since the first time I saw one of those car builder episodes with real fire paint jobs. :cool:
Who painted that and I do not want to know how much it cost.:eekster:
G
It was done by a guy here is Austin. He's a tattoo artist who does air brush work as a hobby. He mainly does soft-goods and I've been "working with him" on this stuff. It never comes out like I wanted but it still comes out looking pretty cool. Its not his area of specialty so you kinda have to go with the flow. Likewise it doesn't cost me as much as you'd guess. If you go with a know airbrush artist (usually a chopper guy) it'll cost $300+++ of you go with my guy then life is like a box of chocolates. :p

The real hassle is this powder coat color is activated by a heavy clear coat so I have to sand the clear (after its been to the PCer), then take over to the air brusher (wait 2 weeks!), then once I get it back I go to my paint & body guy and have to get him to put wet clear coat on it. The fabrication on the frame was finished 6 weeks ago and I just got the it back from "paint" yesterday. :madman:

Here is the first airbrush work my guy did for me.

Attachments

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
CBaron said:
It was done by a guy here is Austin. He's a tattoo artist who does air brush work as a hobby. He mainly does soft-goods and I've been "working with him" on this stuff. It never comes out like I wanted but it still comes out looking pretty cool. Its not his area of specialty so you kinda have to go with the flow. Likewise it doesn't cost me as much as you'd guess. If you go with a know airbrush artist (usually a chopper guy) it'll cost $300+++ of you go with my guy then life is like a box of chocolates. :p

The real hassle is this powder coat color is activated by a heavy clear coat so I have to sand the clear (after its been to the PCer), then take over to the air brusher (wait 2 weeks!), then once I get it back I go to my paint & body guy and have to get him to put wet clear coat on it. The fabrication on the frame was finished 6 weeks ago and I just got the it back from "paint" yesterday. :madman:

Here is the first airbrush work my guy did for me.
Definately worth the wait. That is some awesome airbrush work. I used to airbrush some R/C cars and lettered a few dirt track stock cars in my youth. Really wish I would have taken some classes, searched out a mentor or two and really developed that kind of talent.

Hmmmmm, I do have an old Kona frame I could play with:D

G

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Is that a True North from Kitchener Ontario? I cannot read the dt badge, but it doesn't look like Hugh's normal logo. Welds and design are similar though.

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Is that a True North from Kitchener Ontario? I cannot read the dt badge, but it doesn't look like Hugh's normal logo. Welds and design are similar though.
No its actually my own brand. www.truefabricationbicycles.com At the risk of being banished to the manufacturers forum :eek: .... There are 3 of us located in Austin Tx who are building bikes part-time. We've only built for personal consumption and for friends. But we'd like to go live with a "public product" sometime this year. Right now its just plain fun (& hard work!).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.