Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Southerners,

I'll be there either this week or next w/ my finacee, who's not been on her bike in about... a year! Ouch! She's a very serious student..

Anyway, have there been any changes w/ Fantasy Island since last November?

Starr Pass - the last time we tried to find the start of - a year ago - we completley failed! The neighborhood had changed so much since my prvious visit years before.

Also thinking about hitting the Tortilitas. Any comments???

Suggestions of any other "easier" trails? Last year she did fine on the 50 year trail, for referance. Also exploerd the Dead Bobby area with her, and Saguaro East. Intermediate skill level should not be a problem, she's just lacking lungs and legs...

Thanks a bunch any help!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Hey Southerners,

Also thinking about hitting the Tortilitas. Any comments???

Thanks a bunch any help!
Last December I was recovering from a back injury and when I was first able to ride an MTB again I spent a fair amount of time exploring the riding possibilities in the Tortalitas.

Almost everything I found was ranch road or 4WD track, virtually nothing in the way of single track. An additional problem is that what tracks I did find occasionally ran up against private property that was fenced and signed leaving no doubt about the ranchers desire that one stay off. There was nothing of any technical nature, which was only good given my state of health.

It did have a certain beauty to it and a feeling of isolation that was interesting given its proximity to developement, but in my opinion it isn't worth your time when you consider what else Tucson has to offer.

John W.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Hey Southerners,
Thanks a bunch any help!
I can't say i would recommend starr pass all that much. I used to go there a couple times a week last year, mainly due to its proximity to central tucson, but i went out there a month or so ago and found it pretty washed out and unrideably sandy in a few areas due, presumably, to some heavy monsoon action over the summer. 50 year is always a winner, and i would also recommend the chiva area. You can ride bike or car up to the staging area depending on how ambitious you're feeling, and there's plenty of fun stuff out there and lots of exploring to be done. As for the tortolitas, i can't say i've ever been out there. and, of course, fantasy island. fun as ever. a slight bit more washy in a few areas, but nothing more than a bit of extra sand in only a couple of corners. no biggie. and if you have lights it makes for a great night ride.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! Chiva sounds interesting!

Thanks for the info! Your input has saved us precious time!

So the Tortillitas are out. Star pass too. Chiva sounds good, but I was concerned w/ the "fitness challange". Would this be suitable for someone who hasn't been on a bike in a year (well, she had a week of shuttles in Utah this summer...)? Seem like this might be a good adventure!

Scaebor said:
I can't say i would recommend starr pass all that much. I used to go there a couple times a week last year, mainly due to its proximity to central tucson, but i went out there a month or so ago and found it pretty washed out and unrideably sandy in a few areas due, presumably, to some heavy monsoon action over the summer. 50 year is always a winner, and i would also recommend the chiva area. You can ride bike or car up to the staging area depending on how ambitious you're feeling, and there's plenty of fun stuff out there and lots of exploring to be done. As for the tortolitas, i can't say i've ever been out there. and, of course, fantasy island. fun as ever. a slight bit more washy in a few areas, but nothing more than a bit of extra sand in only a couple of corners. no biggie. and if you have lights it makes for a great night ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Chiva sounds good, but I was concerned w/ the "fitness challange". Would this be suitable for someone who hasn't been on a bike in a year (well, she had a week of shuttles in Utah this summer...)? Seem like this might be a good adventure!
Chiva definetely has a bit of technical stuff and some steep climbs as compared to, say, 50 year and fantasy island, so i certainly wouldn't go there first. If things are going well at the other places and you're looking for a bit more challenge then go for it, and if not there's plenty of good riding around here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tucson Mountain Park

Starr Pass might be a little rough, but there's also a fair bit of riding in Tucson Mtn Park that is totally fun, largely flat and easy to get to. Just take Speedway up and over Gates Pass, then find a parking spot (I believe G3 is where I usually start - it's the second parking area on your right after you descend Gates Pass).

Also, in the Tortolitas, Chuck Boyer (builder of much of Fantasy Island) has created the Dove Mountain trail system. I haven't ridden it personally, but info can be found here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Thanks for the info! Your input has saved us precious time!

So the Tortillitas are out. Star pass too. Chiva sounds good, but I was concerned w/ the "fitness challange". Would this be suitable for someone who hasn't been on a bike in a year (well, she had a week of shuttles in Utah this summer...)? Seem like this might be a good adventure!
You haven't mentioned the Willow Springs ranch up the Oracle Hiway where the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo race is held. The trailhead at the "arches" parking area is only 17 miles farther up the road than the Golder Ranch turnoff to the 50 Year Trail, and most of the 15 to 17 mile loop is single-track that is not very technical but pretty fun never-the-less, and might be a particularly good bet for your fiancee given what you are saying.

Just a thought.

John W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.