Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tucson riders - Samaniego Ridge rideable now???

Tucson riders - is Samaniego Ridge rideable now?

We're planning to ride it Feb. 12. Six riders, possibly one shuttle driver. We'd pay someone to lead our shuttle driver from the top of the moutain to Golder Rd. - I'm the only one who knows the area and I'll be riding...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Tucson riders - is Samaniego Ridge rideable now?

We're planning to ride it Feb. 12. Six riders, possibly one shuttle driver. We'd pay someone to lead our shuttle driver from the top of the moutain to Golder Rd. - I'm the only one who knows the area and I'll be riding...
Louis G. posted this report when he attempted to ride Samaniego Ridge in August 2004:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=39482

It is a long and thorough report, which I found interesting, but the bottom line was that it was very nearly impossible.

I am unaware of any significant trail maintanence projects since that time that would have changed the conditions in the last 18 months.

Maybe someone else can offer more recent news. At the very least next month you will be able to fill us all in.

Be safe.

John W.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
A few things to keep in mind.

Samaniego Ridge Trail is good out to Iron Springs, behind Sammie Peak. From there the ridge to has significant erosion since burning hot during the Aspen fire. Pretty much the section from Sammie Peak to the crest north of Mule Ears was in chaotic condition in 2004. When I was out that way, twice, in 2005 it appeared that there has been no improvement by the USFS. I believe officially that Sammie Ridge Trail ends at Iron Springs and therefore the section from there to the Charouleau Gap is an unsanctioned trail and thus not maintained by the USFS since the fire. However hikers may have re-pioneered the route.

On my 2004 trip I turned down the ridge after Mule Ears so I have no real knowledge of what lay beyond, but I bet the descent down to the Gap is going to be eroded. So with that in mind, be prepared to portage across the erosion impacted areas or turn back. Also consider that before the fire the section of the ROUTE from Sammie Peak to the ridge beyond the crest after Mule Ears was still very difficult to follow.

I am guessing you guys will make a decision to continue past Sammie Peak when you try to descend the Cat Walk which was in a dire state during my 2004 attempt. If the Cat Walk has been repaired then the trail may be in a better state out to Mule Ears and beyond. If it gets stupid consider an out and back to Samaniego Peak, I know others on MTB's have done that.

If you guys go it is going to be a grade A character building epic with mucho problem solving to get out at a decent time without injury. Good luck, you sick bastages.

Louis

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
No improvement......

At last weekends Green Mountain extension trail building party with the forest service, I asked the ranger about the condition of Sami. He said that they cleared the trail last summer out to the catwalk just past Sami peak and that the catwalk was basicaly nonexistant and had no near futire plan of repairing that section. He had no knowledge of the trail conditions after the catwalk. I would bring at 50' of light duty rope to help portage the bikes around the catwalk section if you guys still decide an attempt. As louis said, it will be a character team building exercise...........

SunDog said:
Samaniego Ridge Trail is good out to Iron Springs, behind Sammie Peak. From there the ridge to has significant erosion since burning hot during the Aspen fire. Pretty much the section from Sammie Peak to the crest north of Mule Ears was in chaotic condition in 2004. When I was out that way, twice, in 2005 it appeared that there has been no improvement by the USFS. I believe officially that Sammie Ridge Trail ends at Iron Springs and therefore the section from there to the Charouleau Gap is an unsanctioned trail and thus not maintained by the USFS since the fire. However hikers may have re-pioneered the route.

On my 2004 trip I turned down the ridge after Mule Ears so I have no real knowledge of what lay beyond, but I bet the descent down to the Gap is going to be eroded. So with that in mind, be prepared to portage across the erosion impacted areas or turn back. Also consider that before the fire the section of the ROUTE from Sammie Peak to the ridge beyond the crest after Mule Ears was still very difficult to follow.

I am guessing you guys will make a decision to continue past Sammie Peak when you try to descend the Cat Walk which was in a dire state during my 2004 attempt. If the Cat Walk has been repaired then the trail may be in a better state out to Mule Ears and beyond. If it gets stupid consider an out and back to Samaniego Peak, I know others on MTB's have done that.

If you guys go it is going to be a grade A character building epic with mucho problem solving to get out at a decent time without injury. Good luck, you sick bastages.

Louis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.