Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went on a weekend trip to Tucson to visit friends, hike and ride. What normally is a bright and sunny place was gloomy and rainy. The photos didn't come out very well. Those of you going to race the 24 hours should make a stop and hike or ride here. It's worth it for the scenery alone. The trails are a lot like the SFH, but with more rocks and much better scenery. I only took photos of the west side of the park. There are a ton of trails on the east side. This park is the perfect example of true southwest scenery - enjoy.

Here's what it looks like under normal conditions and with snow:
https://www.wanderlustgalleries.com/tmp.html
https://www.wanderlustgalleries.com/tmpsnow.html

On the Yetman Trail - The saguaro are everywhere and most of them are 100+ years old and some go as high as 30 feet.

Looking back at Golden Gate Mtn. - The Golden Gate Pass saddle in the background is the top of the Yetman Trail and a tough loose climb

This saguaro is probably 100 or more years old and 20+ feet tall

One the way up to Golden Gate Pass

Trailside teddy bear cholla and saguaros

This is the view from the saddle in the 1st photo and looks southeast towards parts of TMP and the neighborhood where I used to live

Coming back down from the saddle. The small piece of trail in the far background is from the 2nd photo

More trailside cholla

This 5 foot tall saguaro is probably 50 years old

We don't miss the summer heat, but really miss the AZ desert. This was our house and the perfect starting point for lots of good riding

Heading up to the Starr Pass saddle with Big Cat Mtn. in the background

This saddle climb is fairly easy and goes up a wash

Looking east towards Tucson and the rest of Tucson Mtn. Park. The mountains in the backgound are the Catalinas in the Coronado NF. The 24 hour course is on the far side of the mountains in the far background

Top of the Starr Pass saddle looking west towards Kitt Peak National Observatory in the far background

Ocotillo

We stayed with some friends who live a few house down from our old house - life is tough

And finally, good local transportation is a must

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
shile said:
We went on a weekend trip to Tucson to visit friends, hike and ride. What normally is a bright and sunny place was gloomy and rainy. The photos didn't come out very well. Those of you going to race the 24 hours should make a stop and hike or ride here. It's worth it for the scenery alone. The trails are a lot like the SFH, but with more rocks and much better scenery. I only took photos of the west side of the park. There are a ton of trails on the east side. This park is the perfect example of true southwest scenery - enjoy.
Awesome report, Shile.

Looks like you brought the weather with you:D

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Awesome! I was down in Tucson last week myself - Rode the AZ trail with the John from SW Trekking. I miss it so much!

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
TMP is such a great place to ride. Next time, check out the Robles Pass trail system that connects to TMP. You cross the Ajo Hwy and there is an excellent 10 mile loop of fast and fun stuff. PM me and I can email the .gpx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.