Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I’ll be spending a couple of months in Tucson next winter. I can pick the community to stay in but wanted the local’s $.02. I want to be somewhere that is within riding distance to the trails (as well as a decent cup of coffee). Any recommendations?

·
Administrator
11,692 Posts
I hate to say it but....

flipnidaho said:
It looks like I'll be spending a couple of months in Tucson next winter. I can pick the community to stay in but wanted the local's $.02. I want to be somewhere that is within riding distance to the trails (as well as a decent cup of coffee). Any recommendations?
this is not so much the Arizona Forum as the Phoenix forum.

Ride fantasy island on the south east side for a fun shot-from-a-rocket 12-18mi blast through the sonoran desert. Fun and twisty and mountain biker built and used exclusively (well mostly).

Ride Tucson mountain park at starr pass for a rough and tumble volcanic desert immersion in the sonoran desert. Many saguaro's, creasote and prickly pear coupled with mucho rocks and techinical climbs. beautiful at sunset.

Ride 50 year trail on the northwest side of Mt Lemmon. Climby and descendy trails with much sand and packed singletracks. Runs around a fertile riparian area with big drops and tight descents to be found.

Ride Chiva Falls reddington pass area in the southeast. ORV area with big descents, big climbs, just big. great falls during the monsoons and rainy season and great riding throughout the year. Big wide open with lotsa lines.

Ride Mt Lemmon the to the north. Many trails through out the mountain with various temperate zones and easy access. Most are hiking/biking trails, long and some are quite dangerously remote. Fun though. Midway up, molino give you access to one of the better ridgeline trails around Milagroso trail. Need to be in shape to hustle up to mile 7 and then back down, or shuttle it.

That is a basic synopsis of the riding. Pretty much anywhere you drop you will be near some good riding but you will also probably spend time travelling to all the other locations I mentioned. Central Tucson, near the U of A is a good compromise but you will be travelling to all the locations in about the same amount of time. Plopping yourself way out east or out west will put you within riding distance of one or two good trails but puts you in the car much more to hit the other trails. 6 of one half a dozen of the other I would say. that is my 2cents.

Drop a note here if you want to ride when you get in town or some advice with directions. there are some people on this forum that actually do ride in Tucson, and mostly we just hang out here to hear the Phoenicians complain about how hot and sucky Phoenix is!

Cheers,

david

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
rockcrusher said:
this is not so much the Arizona Forum as the Phoenix forum.
Metro Phoenix population 3.8 million
Metro Tucson population .9 million

As a U of A grad, I happen to love Tucson, but it ain't got enough people, or alternatively, Phoenix has too many people.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Went to grad school in Phx, been living in Tucson the last few years with a couple places in between. I think Tucson is a better roadie town and Phx is a better mtn town. Better trails in general and better access to rides up North when in Phx..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts