Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not the first time this has been asked but I am weighing my options. I am Debating between going with a True tubeless tire or a standard tire for my first tubeless setup.
- I have DT swiss 4.1d wheels that I plan to use a Stans kit on.
- I ride mostly XC and don't get a ton of flats as it is but would like to gain the traction and avoid the possible pinchflat.
- I run a FS bike and weigh about 205+ with gear etc...

Is there any benefit for me to go with a tubless specific tire vs just running a regular tire with Stans? I could save about a 1/2 pound of rolling weight- not that it is a huge deal but if there is not a difference why add it on?

Thanks for any guidence.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
The main difference is weight. The tubeless specific tires are going to be heavier. Also using Stans will help prevent puncture flats. The Tubeless tires will have thicker sidewall and be a little more sturdy. And you should be able to run tubeless specific at a lower pressure.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
knottshore said:
I know this is not the first time this has been asked but I am weighing my options. I am Debating between going with a True tubeless tire or a standard tire for my first tubeless setup.
- I have DT swiss 4.1d wheels that I plan to use a Stans kit on.
- I ride mostly XC and don't get a ton of flats as it is but would like to gain the traction and avoid the possible pinchflat.
- I run a FS bike and weigh about 205+ with gear etc...

Is there any benefit for me to go with a tubless specific tire vs just running a regular tire with Stans? I could save about a 1/2 pound of rolling weight- not that it is a huge deal but if there is not a difference why add it on?

Thanks for any guidence.
if by tubeless specific you mean UST, you need UST rims
if you mean TLR, 2Bliss or any of the tubeless ready tires , then , if your rim is ust or Tubeless ready it will have a matching bead hook that will fit TLR tires and that is a big advantage, also Tlr tires & rims will just need a airtight rim strip as opposed to big rubber strip with valve. Ust is the only one that doesn't require sealant . I think you'll find that with TLR you wont save that much weight over tube type, UST is usually heavier than tube type. the lightest will be tube type tire aka ghetto setup
2 benefits for tubeless are
no pinch flats
better traction/ lower rolling resistance

Ive found that tubeless is great but alot depends on your rims
My mavics UST & UST tires burp
my Bontrager rythym elites work fine
My Stans flows are bomb proof and I havent used any tires yet that wouldnt seal up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.