Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished a 20mile ride on my gravel/cross bike. putting it away in the garage, i noticed the rear wheel was flat. When i tried pumping it up, i got air leaking through the spoke holes. When i took the tire off. the tape looked like it was melted, didn't resemble tape in any way, Just a big goopy mess. This was taped by me 2 months ago, and a handfull of rides. I don't know the brand of tape, but i got it at a respectible bike shop. And i am using stans tire sealant. has anyone ever seen this ?

I ended up cleaning everything up and throwing tubes in. I got a new set of wheels coming, my current ones will be backup set.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
That's a new one on me. What did the tape look like? Was it adhesive backed plastic film, like most all tubeless tapes, or was it woven or some sort of textile. Was the tape itself dissolved or just the glue? I've seen Gorilla duct type tape and similar turn into leaky goopy messes but it was still basically recognizable.

Other than then tending to corrode aluminum, Stan's is pretty benign.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tubeless tape was sort of like scotch tape...greenish in color. the adhesive was all gummed up, and what eve was left of the clear backing was all over the place. This is my 4th wheelset set up as tubless. Although my first tape job. (first time i tired tubless with these wheels...i thought there was tubless tape...but i think it was rim tape. I did get a few months before the tires leaked out). But this tape looke cheap. My MTB wheels has tubless tape, but with a texture. and those wheels plus sealant are over a year old...and just add a few pounds every now and then. I wonder if i need to change the sealan in those ?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Usually you don't change sealant but rather just add an ounce or two as it dries out. You replace it when it's time to replace the tire. Stan's does not attack the adhesive of appropriate tubeless tape. Good tape done properly will last years. IDK but it seems to me something was weird with that tape, or there was something NG in the Stan's, or something like solvent or oil got inside the rim and attacked the adhesive through the spoke holes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Wheel too hot from vehicle exhaust?

I'm only 2 years into a tubeless system, but it's been perfect, Stans all the time aside from one bottle of Orange. First was Gorilla tape for a year. Now I'm 14 months into Stans Tape. All systems go.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Your LBS did a hack job, it sounds like.

I think its really important to setup your own wheels tubeless. Its not hard to do it right, or wrong, so if something does go wrong its very easy to fix yourself... unless someone else set them up, then its hard to tell until you redo it yourself.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
My Maxi 248 tape was destroyed by TruckerCo sealant while Stan's and Berryman have had no ill effect on it.
I am running orange seal in my wheel on my new bike and am finding it is destroying the tape in each wheel. On other tires, it works fine but in these wheels, it does not seem to work. Stans works fine. My bottle of orange seal is old so I wonder if it has gone "bad".

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,203 Posts
I'd go back to the bike shop and ask what they used to setup tubeless.

I've had Stan's (one wrap with a little overlap) and thinner 3m (two wraps with overlap) tape last more than 5 years no problem on my wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.