Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that there really isn't a decent 2.7 or 2.5 tubless tire assortment out there. I know there are the Maxxis and one Michelin, but has anyone tried anything else that works? I know Schwalbe makes some but I'm not a fan of their tires. Any other brands out there?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
mtn_man2 said:
It seems that there really isn't a decent 2.7 or 2.5 tubless tire assortment out there. I know there are the Maxxis and one Michelin, but has anyone tried anything else that works? I know Schwalbe makes some but I'm not a fan of their tires. Any other brands out there?
non burbing the Michelin is real nice....2.8 Michy is what I use for everyday riding

Michy also has a 2.5 or 2.6.

Some people like the Blue grooves and Nevegals (sp???)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kenda doesn't have much.

KonaStinky05 said:
I think the highest Kenda goes for tubeless is 2.35
I think they only go up to 2.1 right now. Supposedly they're working on bigger UST blue groove's and nevs.

Any other brands worth loooking into?

Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
I know TONS of guys that just buy regular tires, put a cup of stans in em, blow em up and ride for months without worries.

I use straight up UST.

The 2.8 is gonna be as much grip/size as you are ever gonna need if you even think about running UST in the first place (you can run that thing at 10 psi and have unreal traction, i usually run mine at 25, but only in CRAZY situations that i need that tire, otherwise i run 2.5's). Other than that its pretty much 2.5 minions, high rollers, comp 16, and comp 24s.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
mtn_man2- I heard the same thing from Kenda... They have to develop a whole new technique for making UST in the larger sizes, I guess their current machinery only allows the 2.2 Kinetics.

I just mounted standard 2.5 Kendas without tubes on my UST DeeMax and dumped in the sealant (like j6105 also mentioned) They fit like a glove on the rims and have been working great so far.

JMH

mtn_man2 said:
I think they only go up to 2.1 right now. Supposedly they're working on bigger UST blue groove's and nevs.

Any other brands worth loooking into?

Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that insight.

JMH said:
mtn_man2- I heard the same thing from Kenda... They have to develop a whole new technique for making UST in the larger sizes, I guess their current machinery only allows the 2.2 Kinetics.

I just mounted standard 2.5 Kendas without tubes on my UST DeeMax and dumped in the sealant (like j6105 also mentioned) They fit like a glove on the rims and have been working great so far.

JMH
JMH,

Thanks for the helpful experience. I enjoy running the kendas on my trail bike so I will likely just stick with them. I guess UST tires aren't all that important after all.

Thanks to all who have helped with the dilemma.

·
Registered
643 Posts
stans isnt always a surefire way to get any tire to become tubeless. My Dee maxxs came in the other and i tried putting stans in it and after about an hour of inflation, it was out. It might work on certain tires but it didnt work on mobsters thats for sure. so now im waiting for my tubeless minions to come in and ill be set for life.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mtn_man2 said:
All of the '06 Michelin DH tires are UST tubeless compatible.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ilikepinkbikes said:
stans isnt always a surefire way to get any tire to become tubeless. My Dee maxxs came in the other and i tried putting stans in it and after about an hour of inflation, it was out. It might work on certain tires but it didnt work on mobsters thats for sure. so now im waiting for my tubeless minions to come in and ill be set for life.
I dont mean that it is the best tire and he should use stans, I comes UST. I am saying it still beets any normal tire.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
j6105 said:
I

The 2.8 is gonna be as much grip/size as you are ever gonna need if you even think about running UST in the first place (you can run that thing at 10 psi and have unreal traction, i .
tire rollls on the rim too much......it sucks at high speed...I never run low pressure

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shiggy and FM...Thanks

I should have just paged Shiggy from the beginning, but thanks for the Michelin help. I didn't realize their tires were all UST compatible.

FM. I think the 24s look like a good choice. I'll have to give them a shot.

Thanks again to all who have given their insight and opinions. We can let this thread die now.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Which nevegals? wire bead or ? what size? Stick-E or?

I tried to help a friend mount some wire bead 2.3's up on xm819s with stans, windex and an air compressor, no love after :30 of effort. I've heard certain kenda models work better than others.

mtn_man2, for FR/DH use, the michy's are really kick-ass- comp 24's or a comp24 rear and comp16 in front for slick conditions. They mount up easy with windex. The comp 24's blew my mind on the shore last year, nice cushy ride and they stick like velcro.

TrainingWheelz? said:
I run Kenda Nevegals front and rear on mavic 823's..a little stans and the nevegals work great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
FM said:
Which nevegals? wire bead or ? what size? Stick-E or?

I tried to help a friend mount some wire bead 2.3's up on xm819s with stans, windex and an air compressor, no love after :30 of effort. I've heard certain kenda models work better than others.

mtn_man2, for FR/DH use, the michy's are really kick-ass- comp 24's or a comp24 rear and comp16 in front for slick conditions. They mount up easy with windex. The comp 24's blew my mind on the shore last year, nice cushy ride and they stick like velcro.
2.7 front and 2.5 rear wire bead StickE's.....they went on fairly easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.