Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to Whistler in June, haven't been for a couple of years now.

Wondering if a tubeless set-up works up there?

I currently have an older 36h Azonic wheelset set-up ghetto tubeless

with a new Minion DHR 2.7 in front and a WTB Moto Raptor 2.4 (with Inner Peace side walls) in the rear.

I mainly will be riding Crank it Up, Dirt Merchant and A Line.

I'm 185lbs geared on a Titus SuperMoto and Totem Coil (7x7)

Will this be Okay to do?:D

·
Registered
558 Posts
In 6 years of riding at Whistler with tubeless tires on both my bike and my wife's bike I have only had one flat and that was a gash to the tire that ripped a hole more than an inch long in a Michelin DH24. You will be good to go!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I didn't know if this was a noob type of question or not.
I don't want to have any burping issues on sideways landings
when they happen!:D

B

·
0 Posts
I've been riding tubeless for a few years now. Ive ridden all over Tahoe Downieville and the Bay Area. I think I'm getting more flats on these tubeless tires than I ever did with with tubes. On really rocky trails I can plan on using plugs to fill big wholes. Ive had many occasions where I needed a new tire do to gashes. Again I think this happens more on tubeless rims. Maybe I should switch back on DH bikes and leave tubeless for XC. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sorry but no Whistler feedback.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks guys. I didn't know if this was a noob type of question or not.
I don't want to have any burping issues on sideways landings
when they happen!:D
If you follow the same routine that you do with regular tubed tires you will not have any issues. Check your air pressure before each ride (as you would a normal tire).
Beaubien: I think that checking your tire pressure with a gauge is the number one way to prevent flats. The number two way is to know what air pressure you can get away with. Although popular belief is that you can run stooooopid low air pressures with tubeless tires I do not believe it. An air pressure that will cause you to bottom you rim out onto the ground will puncture you tire or tube. The recommended air pressure formula on the Notubes website is so far out to lunch I want to know what drugs they were on when they came up with it because they must be pretty fun. I run 30psi in the rear and 25 in the front and have for years. My gauge is accurate as I used to calibrate gauges. I don't change it based on location or conditions. I usually run 2.3 tubless ready tires for most of the year and the 2.5 2 ply DH tires at the ski hill. I weigh close to 200 with all my DH gear and pack.

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
you're doing something wrong... i'm running tubeless and smash through everything, huck huge drops to flat, and have never had any flats.

then again, i have 823/deemax rims.. and i use maxxis 2 ply tires.. 1 1/2 cups of stans....
what are you using?

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're doing something wrong... i'm running tubeless and smash through everything, huck huge drops to flat, and have never had any flats.

then again, i have 823/deemax rims.. and i use maxxis 2 ply tires.. 1 1/2 cups of stans....
what are you using?
Yeah, the wider the rim the better for tubeless I think, and two ply tires!:thumbsup:

My trail rims are 21 id wide with 2.3 (at the most) tire in the rear.
I need to run at least 30psi or I tend to burb on my crazy landings
(Never have a problem with flats out here in the PNW.)

That's why I was wondering if tubeless can be run at Whistler. (the burbing issue)
Of course my Azonic rims are like 32mm wide and I just put a Maxxis DHR 2.7 2 ply on the rear so I think I'll be good.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I run tubeless on my trail bike (12 Trek Fuel 8) and tubed on my DH bike (11 Session 8)... I haven't had any major flats on my Session yet but I'm going to rage if I start getting pinch flats. I'll be converting to tubeless asap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts