Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will you use a patched tube for? If I patch a tube on the trail I will ususally put a new one in for the next ride. I know some people who will keep patching their tubes until there isn't anymore room for another. What's everyone's opinion on this?

I know I know, tubeless is the way to go.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm keeping my tubes until my tubeless tires come in. Rode my new bike less than 30 miles and already pinch flatted, screw tubes, I'm going tubeless.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
duff76 said:
How long will you use a patched tube for? If I patch a tube on the trail I will ususally put a new one in for the next ride. I know some people who will keep patching their tubes until there isn't anymore room for another. What's everyone's opinion on this?

I heard a guy with 20 some odd patches. On the trail, I throw a new one in for ease. When I get home, I patch the bum tube and rotate that into my pack.

As for the tube vs. tubless debate, I am sticking with tubes. Why change if I have pinch flatted once in 3 years. I am using a variety of tubes Salsa Superlights to Cheng Shins......no problems. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I'm riding tubeless now, but when riding tubes, I would basically replace tube on the trail with a new tube and then patch 3 or 4 tubes at a time once they built up. I would always carry a new tube and a patched tube in my camelbak. if I came across someone on the trail, I always had a spare to share if they needed one. I have ridden with a patched tube for quite a long time, many months, with no issues.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
duff76 said:

Years if it holds air, and I am not convinced that tubless is the way to go based on tire selection and convenience.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
I usually patch 3-5 times before I toss them, or until I pinch flat (rarely). Been running on some patches for well over a year now, still hold air like they were new.

If I'm in a hurry though I will just through a new one in on the trail and patch the other when I get home.

I use the standard patches, been a little wary of those superlight patch kits (they look a lot like pieces of scotch tape).

Anyone running long times on the superlight patches?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
duff76 said:

I will patch and use a tube until it is unrepairable.

Tubeless is not always "the way to go."

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
But shiggy...

shiggy said:
I will patch and use a tube until it is unrepairable.

Tubeless is not always "the way to go."
that tube will probably pump your tire/tube weight up to something equal to a Michelin DH32...won't it?:D And I agree with you on the issue of tubeless not always being the way to go. It hasn't been perfected for road bikes yet...LOL!

I just noticed your "drop bar" link there. Very...uh...interesting.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Meat Foot said:
I am using a variety of tubes Salsa Superlights to Cheng Shins......no problems. Works for me. :)
i put in some salsa superlights last week. great stuff so far. very light and so far they have survived my local rock garden's brutal proving grounds...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.