Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm considering stepping up to a full suspension bike from my hardtail and right now I'm looking at one with Mavic Crossmax SLR disc wheels. Having never ridden or tried UST before I'm a bit skeptical since I generally run pretty high pressures and don't have a problem with pinch flats. I would however like to be able to change tires easily... especially since I like to switch to slicks and go riding around the city.

So now for my question: The bike comes as a package with UST wheels, and I don't think I can change that, can I still mount regular tires and tubes on these rims?

Thanks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
266 Posts
Just get a decent pair of inexpensive wheels with city slicks, and just change the wheels.
 

·
I'm Riding It
Joined
·
652 Posts
Of course you can run tubes and tube tires on UST rims, but like everyone else said.. why would you?
Over time it would definitely be worth it to get a beater wheelset, but until then, it really isn't any different changing UST tires, or non-UST tires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the general consensus seems to be that it would work. Great!

As to why, well like I said I don't have a pinch flat problem and I don't use (or like) super low pressures so I don't really see the need for UST. I'd much rather not mess with the messy sealant and instead be able to swap tires quickly and easily.

And I don't think I want a separate set of wheels for the city either, I'm a pretty aggressive city rider so I need a set of strong wheels.

Granted it's a little bit of a waste to have UST wheels if I'm not going to use it but it's what's on the bike I'm looking at right now so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
don't listen to these tubless guys, they are as sick as the 29'r crowd!

:D

Okay, I'm a tire freak and change tires due to weather conditions as well as terrain conditions. I run tubes.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
Blue&Yellow said:
I'd much rather not mess with the messy sealant and instead be able to swap tires quickly and easily.
And that is where my post was coming from about UST not being quick.

However..UST was first made without the intent of sealant. Kenda UST tires even explicitly say do not use sealant with them. Yeah...it holds your wanted pressure for a day or two without it, but they still always ended up in a flat within the week for me. So yeah...no matter what...you're more than likely always messing with sealant.

But "tubeless ready" tires are made with the intent of sealant since the carcasses are typically thinner. The sealant is not actually meant to seal the bead. Anyway...moving on.

I only use UST tires on UST rims without sealant on my downhill bike... losing pressure slowly isn't a huge concern there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Do you mean change tires like once a week or once a day? The more frequently you need to change, the more that I vote for 2nd set of wheels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Blue&Yellow said:
So the general consensus seems to be that it would work. Great!

As to why, well like I said I don't have a pinch flat problem and I don't use (or like) super low pressures so I don't really see the need for UST. I'd much rather not mess with the messy sealant and instead be able to swap tires quickly and easily.

And I don't think I want a separate set of wheels for the city either, I'm a pretty aggressive city rider so I need a set of strong wheels.

Granted it's a little bit of a waste to have UST wheels if I'm not going to use it but it's what's on the bike I'm looking at right now so...
But you claimed tires with NON-UST beads can not be changed quickly.
gearwhine said:
Because quick tire changes with non UST bead tires is not going to happen...that's why.
Just not true. The OP is asking about using standard tires and inner tubes on UST rims, which works just fine.

And tubeless ready tires use UST beads.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Yogii said:
Do you mean change tires like once a week or once a day? The more frequently you need to change, the more that I vote for 2nd set of wheels.
I think he's resistant to that idea...:???:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Blue&Yellow said:
So the general consensus seems to be that it would work. Great!

As to why, well like I said I don't have a pinch flat problem and I don't use (or like) super low pressures so I don't really see the need for UST. I'd much rather not mess with the messy sealant and instead be able to swap tires quickly and easily.

And I don't think I want a separate set of wheels for the city either, I'm a pretty aggressive city rider so I need a set of strong wheels.

Granted it's a little bit of a waste to have UST wheels if I'm not going to use it but it's what's on the bike I'm looking at right now so...
After a year of changing knobbies and slicks, I bought another really good wheelset....

I ran tubes and tubeless for that year, sometimes the tubes are easier, sometimes no tubes were easier..to change...just depended on which one decided to be an ass on that particular day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Jim311 said:
You don't have to use sealant if you don't want, as long as you're using a true UST tire on a UST rim.
True....I used to do that when I first got my UST wheels/tires.....then I started getting flats and was patching tires.......it sucked.....in my opinion sealant is the way to go even with UST wheels/tires......
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top