Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ah...oh yeah..i forgot
34 Posts
Yes you can........

Putting a tube in is a common fix for a tubeless flat on the trail. I am currently running some Hutchinson tubeless tires with tubes and I love it. Because tubeless tires are a bit thicker and designed to run without tubes, they are less prone to problems on the trail. At least thats what I've found. I'm running them with ultralight tubes, and at a clydesdale weight, if I tried that with regular tires I'd be walking home. I love being able to run light tubes and a low tire pressure and not worry about flatting.

However, not all standard rims will let you use tubeless tires. I'm running mavic F219 rims and have had 0 problems. Tubeless tires need a bit more of a lip on the rim to hook into. Not all standard rims have enough lip to hold the tire in. I would post something over in wheels and tires forum for Shiggy. He's the resident tire expert.

mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
yes, but...

you will pay a weight penalty. The tubless tires weigh more that their regular counterparts. If you choose to go with tubes, use the lighter weight tires, they are easier to spin. For example, Hutchinson Pythons: Air Light Kevlar bead - 485g, Tubless Kevlar Bead - 730g.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.