Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread we were talking about DH tires. They seem to be wider than XC models. But, most tubes that I've seen (I was particularly interested in the Slime tubes) seem to max out at about 2.125. What do you folks that run DH use? And just to be clear, DH tires don't require different rims, do they?

·
Registered
403 Posts
algae said:
On another thread we were talking about DH tires. They seem to be wider than XC models. But, most tubes that I've seen (I was particularly interested in the Slime tubes) seem to max out at about 2.125. What do you folks that run DH use? And just to be clear, DH tires don't require different rims, do they?
2.7" or larger tires probably should be mounted on DH rims. As for tubes I run IRC Torque DH Tubes which run from 2.25" to 3" they are extra thick and weight more than my XC tires. But pinch flats are rare with 'em.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the IRC Torque tubes have schraeder valves. I don't think I want to drill my rims. I'm just trying to find a tire/tube combination that's both light AND durable. I want to do some trail riding, as well as ride the 1.5 miles to work every day. From what I've seen, the streets have more tire hazards than off-road. I've had three thorns in two weeks...from the street! I thought that maybe the IRC Trail Bear DH might be the answer, but can't figure out how to make it work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey...I'm just learning the ropes. Up until yesterday, I didn't know what a DH tire was. My thought was not to use them for aggressive downhill, but for a hazard-proof all around tire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
algae said:
Hey...I'm just learning the ropes. Up until yesterday, I didn't know what a DH tire was. My thought was not to use them for aggressive downhill, but for a hazard-proof all around tire.
It's cool man. It wouldn't be good to run a full DH combo just for durablity unless you just need the extra workout. :p Way too heavy and I still got a flat from a splinter of glass that went through a knob on my Maxxis Mobster and DH tube. I'd recommend to either get Slime filled prestas or drill out your rims for Schrader and shoot some Slime in 'em.

Mike

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
algae said:
Looks like the IRC Torque tubes have schraeder valves. I don't think I want to drill my rims. I'm just trying to find a tire/tube combination that's both light AND durable. I want to do some trail riding, as well as ride the 1.5 miles to work every day. From what I've seen, the streets have more tire hazards than off-road. I've had three thorns in two weeks...from the street! I thought that maybe the IRC Trail Bear DH might be the answer, but can't figure out how to make it work.
Kenda makes a 2.4-2.75" presta tube. REI sells it with the Novara label as a 2.3-2.4. You would have a hard time putting it in some of the "smaller" 2.3" tires because of its size.

There is not a DH version of the Trail Bear. It is actually a "lighter" XC/trail version of the old Missile DH tire. DH tires have extra thick reinforced casing, weigh a bunch and usually have wire beads. "Light" and "DH" do not go together.

Most tubes called "2.1" or so work just fine in tires up to 2.5".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dartman said:
2.7" or larger tires probably should be mounted on DH rims. As for tubes I run IRC Torque DH Tubes which run from 2.25" to 3" they are extra thick and weight more than my XC tires. But pinch flats are rare with 'em.

Mike
Hi,

Newbie question here, with these same tubes. Every tube I've used until now has 1 nut to hold the tube in place, fitted to the "outside" against the rim. There's 2 nuts and a washer supplied with these, so what's the order of assembly? I'm guessing washer and nut inside (as a stand-off to put the big tube in the big tire) and then a nut against the rim to lock it?

Cheers for any guidance.

No I'm Spartacus.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Presta DH tube = Salsa

Like the other post states you don't want to run true DH tires for flat protection ... way too heavy, though, there are some tires that fall in between DH and XC that provide more protection at a reasonable weight.

A couple I like are the WTB MutanoRaptor 2.24 and the WTB WeirWolf 2.3. They come in below 700gm. Both of these tires come in larger sizes, 2.4 and 2.5 respectively, but the sidewalls seem thinner which makes them more subject to pinch flats and cuts. As a comparison a true DH tire tips the scale in the 1000gm range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Airlock tubes..

I thought I'd try the Specialized Airlock 2.24, wanting a self-repairing tube. I read on another thread that there is no locking nut for the valve, so I called Spec. and asked them specifically if there was one. They assured me that there was. Of course I ordered a couple, and not only are there no nuts, the valve stems aren't even threaded. The stems do appear to be a little beefier than normal, but how critical is the nut? Should I return them in favor of the slime tubes?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
algae said:
I thought I'd try the Specialized Airlock 2.24, wanting a self-repairing tube. I read on another thread that there is no locking nut for the valve, so I called Spec. and asked them specifically if there was one. They assured me that there was. Of course I ordered a couple, and not only are there no nuts, the valve stems aren't even threaded. The stems do appear to be a little beefier than normal, but how critical is the nut? Should I return them in favor of the slime tubes?
The nut is not critical in any way, it's only function is to keep the valve stem from slipping into the tire when you press the pump head onto the valve. I've used the specialized tubes and wrenchforce tubes when I was in Tucson last year, the only flats I had were pinch flats, the thorn holes were all stopped by the goo in the tubes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.