Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tubes right now, but have this constant fear that tubeless might cause me troubles, 'unseen troubles'. I know this is a classic reaction to the unknown such as tubeless since I've enver ridden tubeless tires. What are the major benefits you guys see? I know weight might be one, but what are these horror stories I hear of regarding the tires losing air pressure and/or the tire rolling off the rim...or are these the few bad stories that surface and that the thousands of satisfied customers aren't as vocal as the ones that are disappointed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went the homebrew tubeless way mainly for the flat protection. It's also nice to run low pressures(20psi rear and 15psi front). I never had burbings or blow offs. My homebrew solution seem to glue the tire to the rim and leave a thin layer of latex on the tires and Crossmax rims.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'v just installed my Stans and after 4 hard rides have had no problems, Im running Maxxis 2.35 Mobsters on Sun Ryno Lites. I had all the same fears as you did and I'm still skeptical. My buddy was the guinea pig and had no problems for the first month or so, then he had a stick wedge between the rim and tire causing air to escape, he had to push his bike 5 miles back to his car because his hand pump would'nt inflate the tire. Basically it was his fault for not being prepared,I guess he figured that Stans NO Flats meant just that. Then it happened again several days later, another flat. The tire stayed on the rim both times though. So far I' v been flat free but still carry a tube just in case. I'm a hardcore rider and push my limits up and down and so far I like tubeless. The positives were very noticable as soon as I rode tubless for the first time: # 1- My momentum was much better the bike rolled longer after pedaling. #2- My bike climbed better, better traction and it felt like I had a much lighter wheelset. #3- No more stinkin pinch flats :mad: I think the positives out weigh the negatives but time will tell. SKEPTICAL BUT LOVING IT! :D

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Stans also

I just made the jump last month to tubeless using Stans goop inside Continental Vertical Protection (non UST) mounted to Crossmax SL UST rims. Aside from a bit of a mess when first learning to install the tires, since been having no problems at all.

My first experience was this "hollow" sound as your tires roll over the trail, but as the previous post noted, the feeling that the bike seems to be just a tad snappier on acceleration and better traction is noticable. Though I haven't had to test the goop with a big thorn or nail, it is nice to know that the tire will seal itself under most puncture circumstances.

So far I'm sold on the tubeless thing. And if you choose the right "regular" tire combined with Stans goop, you've can have a really light weight tubeless wheelset. I have to admit, it helps to have a UST ready rim, but stan does sell a kit with a tubeless rim strip to convert your regular rims. Seems kind of pointless to add all that extra rubber inside the rim, negating some of the weight savings.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would say that if you have enough patience to learn how to make tubeless work, then do it. I would also just get the stans kit. I tried ust tubless system with a non-stans sealant and it pissed me off too many times, so I ditched it, and use tubes. It seems like people have the most success with the stans conversion kit. Oh, and the weight of the rim strip is negligable cause ust rims are heavier than a comparable non-ust rim. -t

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.