Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
190lbs of climber
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to my tire blowout at Seaotter I am planning going tubeless, at least in back, as many poeple advised. Do I need special rims or something? FOrgive me for asking stupid questions but is there some type of glue that holds the tires to the rims?

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
i got true ust wheels, and am going back to a standard setup. found ust to be far more maintenance and a pita to repair then was even remotely worthwhile. maybe for races they'd be a bit more ideal but i had them on my bike that i ride daily, and having to "maintain" the air psi daily is kinda irritating. i just wanna jump on my bike and ride it when i feel the itch, not mess with my hokey mavic tubeless valves that break and leak air after a weeks worth of movement from required air pumpings. going into it, i also didn't realize how much of a hassle the tires can be to reseat either untill after one of them left me stranded 22 miles from civilization. managed to get one back on after about half an hour, complete with a few broken branch chunks inside of the tire, had to finish fully seating it after i got home. it did hold air though. for racing i could see the advantages but you couldn't pay me enough to recommend a true ust setup to somebody for their daily getup. sorry, i'm genuinely a happy guy but i'm a bit bitter over my few months worth of tubeless use.

i hear nothing but good things about stans though, think i'll have to check that out myself.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I must be lucky?

I don't know what is different about my UST setup, but I have never had a single problem. My tires hold exact pressure for weeks, they inflate easily with a hand pump, no worries ever. No flats (once I started using liquid latex ala Stans)

I am running several kinds of Kenda UST tires on Mavic Crossmax SL wheels. Two sets, both are great. So I can give UST a thumbs up, but it sounds like the Rim/Tire combination is pretty important.

JMH

Weaver said:
i got true ust wheels, and am going back to a standard setup. found ust to be far more maintenance and a pita to repair then was even remotely worthwhile. maybe for races they'd be a bit more ideal but i had them on my bike that i ride daily, and having to "maintain" the air psi daily is kinda irritating. i just wanna jump on my bike and ride it when i feel the itch, not mess with my hokey mavic tubeless valves that break and leak air after a weeks worth of movement from required air pumpings. going into it, i also didn't realize how much of a hassle the tires can be to reseat either untill after one of them left me stranded 22 miles from civilization. managed to get one back on after about half an hour, complete with a few broken branch chunks inside of the tire, had to finish fully seating it after i got home. it did hold air though. for racing i could see the advantages but you couldn't pay me enough to recommend a true ust setup to somebody for their daily getup. sorry, i'm genuinely a happy guy but i'm a bit bitter over my few months worth of tubeless use.

i hear nothing but good things about stans though, think i'll have to check that out myself.

·
190lbs of climber
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How/why

shiggy said:
How/why did your tire blowout?
Pinch flat going down after hurl hill. It wasn't exactly the smartest idea to run a 1.8 incher in the back. I was in about 10th place, in the second pack from the lead, so I was pissed. I think I passed you up about half an hour later. You were the guy in green? I was the lanky blond 16 year old on the red Chamelean. It sucked, but now I just can't wait for my next race. I finished in the 60 in 1:43 after putting in a spare tube in and pumping it up with a tiny hand pump. Damn I was pissed...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
When you said "blowout" I was thinking big hole ripped in the sidewall or the tire blowing off the rim.

Just go with a bigger rear tire. 1.8 must be pretty harsh on a Chameleon.

Forget the DIY tubeless.

Yeah, I was wearing the green and white checked arm warmers and shorts and green knee warmers. I remember your bike. Nice finish.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
Are you kidding?

I see nothing but the experiences of others to support my initial instinct not to waste the time, effort and money on this crap idea that will surely go the way of the quill stem, integrated headset and the 1.5 head tube. Just because a new idea is being marketed doen't make it better. Now, disk brakes on the other hand.... :D

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Nope, not kidding.

I would expect there to be problems with any developing technology, but between them Stans and UST seem to have the bases covered. I think there are still many compatibility and combo issues to be worked out with both systems, case in point, two totally different UST experiences in the same thread. But it is easy to ask around and find out what works.

Also, people rarely point out problems with tubes because they are the standard and people have come to accept the drawbacks. But don't tell me that tube failures aren't absolutely annoying. (pinch flat at Sea Otter?) Not being able to run a low pressure because your tires shift and rip off your valve stems or you pinch on rocks and roots? None of that is an issue for me anymore, so UST was a happy investment.

Time will tell...

J

lifer said:
I see nothing but the experiences of others to support my initial instinct not to waste the time, effort and money on this crap idea that will surely go the way of the quill stem, integrated headset and the 1.5 head tube. Just because a new idea is being marketed doen't make it better. Now, disk brakes on the other hand.... :D

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
No problems with UST

I have been running true UST since Sept last year. No flats, no loss of tire pressure, no problems.
I do have a scoop of Stan's juice in the tire just to be on the safe side. I swap tires out in half the time that it used to take me when I ran tubes(I am not mechanicaly inept at using tubes, I am a bike messenger and I get alot of practice). I feel the same way about UST as I do disc brakes. I will never go back. I tried Stan's system and went back to tubes before I went UST. I can get my tires on/off with my bare hands and the tire inflates everytime with a floor pump.
What is not to like(in my case)?

·
Registered
573 Posts
UST ok

for me too.

There's nothing to it really, cars and motorcycles have been using it for a while.

If you live in thorn country like me then Stan's goop will be sort of a must. It is useful in fixing the small holes. The big ones, forget it. True UST does not require much Stan's so it's not that big of a mess. Don't ask how I know. I've punched more holes in my tires than there are on Bonnie&Clyde's car...

Puncturing a UST tire really is bad luck, you would puncture a tubed tire just the same if not more easily. Snake bites are however eliminated, and the side walls on UST tires are beefy. The setup has proved quite reliable (relatively of course) for me and I second the ease of mounting and such. Repairing is ok, I'm getting real good at that. After being repaired the tires can still be used without the tubes.

YMMV,

Maurice

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
Mavic with stans

I use crossmax wheels with stans rim strips and sealant. When you use the rim strip it gives the bead something to seat against. I use 2.2 specialized enduro tires(non ust). I will never use tubes again,except for a repair to get me out of the woods. For three yearsI have been tubeless and will never go back. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
UST 4 me...

I've been using Crossmax XL's for almost 2 years and have only had 3 flats (one of which was a nail completely throught the tire that I rode back 3 miles to trailhead w/o putting any extra air in). I haven't been using Stan's but have considered it. I have had no issues with pressure loss until last week, I changed to some Conti Twisters, and they lose a few pounds a day. I don't think I'll ever go back to tubes or swap to Stan's; heck I just blew most of my tax refund on a pair of SS Hadley's laced to 819's... can't wait til they come in. CK

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Tubeless Myths...

Menso said:
thanks to my tire blowout at Seaotter I am planning going tubeless, at least in back, as many poeple advised. Do I need special rims or something? FOrgive me for asking stupid questions but is there some type of glue that holds the tires to the rims?
The ONLY true advantage of tubeless involves using sealant to prevent punctures. You pinch flatted and blew out the sidewalls of a tubed tire. You would have done the same thing on a tubeless tire. The difference is, the tubeless tire would have cost you more to replace.

Tubeless doesn't:

- Eliminate pinch flats.
- Increase Traction.
- Lower rolling resistance.
- Reduce weight.

Tubeless Does:
- Reduce thorn flats with latex.
- Cause harm to the environment around the trails when you flat.
- Require the repair parts as a tubed tire to fix on the trail.
- Cost more.

Run a bigger tire. Any advantage you may have received from the thinner tire was eliminated when yo blew it out. If you'd have been running a 1.95 or so, where would you have finished?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I have been rinning UST for a couple of years and have never experienced a blowout like yours. I use Mavic USTs, XMax on the geared and X3.1 rims on the singlespeed successfully.

I have suffered punctures due to thorns and barb wire but Slime or Stans take care of that. Some tires are harder to fix than others, so far Hutchinson tires are the easiest to fix and Kenda's the more difficult. To be honest, have never been able to fix Kenda's.

Right now I have Hutchinson Spider 2.1s on the geared and Maxxis Ignitors 1.9s on the SS, love the Ignitors BTW.

·
Registered
129 Posts
no probs with the sidewalls on the Hutch USTs?
when i've ridden spiders on the tubes, i had to really watch the psi or i'd end up with a tube wrapped around the stays. friggin rear will 'roid.

thanks

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.