Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Stan's setup using non UST rims, but on one of my rim strips, the core is coming out of the strip. A guy at a bike shop told me their mechanic has used UST cores in non UST rims and converted to tubeless without the strips. As anyone heard of that? I've been using a tube in my rear tire this season, because of the messed up strip, and before I buy a new one, I figured I would ask or try that setup first.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Yes, if you mean using a UST valve only in a std rim. I've used some Olympics with no strips for 2 seasons now. Just tape. One is using a valve cut form an old tube:), the other using the std issue Stans UST style valve. Hard part is getting it to air up sometimes. For me its impossible with a hand pump if theres no strips. So the air compressor is my friend.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,137 Posts
but Olympics are made to run w/o rimstrips

Duckman said:
Yes, if you mean using a UST valve only in a std rim. I've used some Olympics with no strips for 2 seasons now. Just tape. One is using a valve cut form an old tube:), the other using the std issue Stans UST style valve. Hard part is getting it to air up sometimes. For me its impossible with a hand pump if theres no strips. So the air compressor is my friend.
Hello Duckman and fellow Spider ride... but those 'lympic rims are made to use with just the tape. What about other rims like my Bontrager Race Lites that have the rimstrip? Can I take out that 52g rimstrip and replace it with the tape and still have a safely secured tire?

I've been on the verge of buying/building a lightweight wheelset for months but can't find exactly what I want... I want a sub-400g rim that doesn't require a rimstrip... I haven't found ANYTHING other than the 'lympic or stan's other rims (ZTR355).

So the question still is, can the strip be removed from rims that weren't intended to be used tubeless without it?

p.s. - my Spider is still heavy (>26lbs.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts