Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post here, before wandering down to the Wheel/Tire sub. I tried going tubeless (Sunringle Charger Pro tubeless ready) on my Goblin. I had no issue converting the front wheel. But the rear wheel :madman: I can't even inflate the tire to seat the bead. What am I missing here. FWIW, I am using an air compressor, and following the instructions (soap water etc.).

Wheelset - Sunringle Charger Pro tubeless ready
Tires - Geax AKA (Goblin stock)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, lube the bead with soapy water, and hit the tire on the tread around the full perimeter to push the bead out on the rim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just to make sure, what kind of compressor are you using? Does it have a tank (not just a pump)? If so, make sure you have at least 100psi in the tank, so it inflates quickly and sets the bead. A pump like people have in their car is not going to fly in most cases.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tape - The wheelset came tubeless ready (yellow/Stan's tape)
Compressor - With a tank. I didn't wait around until it filled up to 100 psi, I can try that.

Have you tried a tube to seat one side of the bead first? - Not sure what you mean. Is it install tire/tube, and remove the tube while keeping the tire on?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can also try removing the core inside the valve stem so the valve is completely open. This will make it easier to get air through the valve quickly.

Obviously, with the valve stem core removed the air won't stay in the tire. But, you put the valve stem core back in AFTER the tire has seated on the wheel.

Plus, you can add the sealant through the valve stem without the core if you have one of those little squeeze bottles or a syringe.

I always like to get the tire seated on the wheel BEFORE I add the sealant. Then, I add the sealant through the valve stem. The whole process is just cleaner and simpler that way.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tape - The wheelset came tubeless ready (yellow/Stan's tape)
Compressor - With a tank. I didn't wait around until it filled up to 100 psi, I can try that.

Have you tried a tube to seat one side of the bead first? - Not sure what you mean. Is it install tire/tube, and remove the tube while keeping the tire on?
Yep exactly that, put tube in, seat both beads, you will hear the pings. Then break only one bead, remove the tube and then pump away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep exactly that, put tube in, seat both beads, you will hear the pings. Then break only one bead, remove the tube and then pump away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't get around to it until yesterday but coxinio's suggestion worked. Thanks! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts