Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been mounting my tubeless tires with just my floor pump. So far so good until this week when even my last ditch effort of riding it around with a tube didn't work. Picked up a five gallon air tank at Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html
Pumped it up to about 45 psi. Put a little soapy water along the loose bead. And POP!
I imagine an air compressor would still be better as you don't have to pre-pump up the compressor, and you don't have to refill it between attempts, but I have no other use for an air compressor in my life, so this fit nicely between the super-cheap, DIY, soda bottle hack and a full-on air compressor.
I did spring for a different hose and a generic trigger nozzle to replace the shrader-compatible hose that comes with it. Might not be necessary.
Salesman looks at me with confusion and says, "You know if you use that trigger instead of the hose that comes with it, it's just going to release all the air at once."
"I'm counting on it."

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Not a bad idea, but you can make something much smaller and almost free. I have been using a 2L bottle for years and it works great. The air tank is nicer, but not $30 nicer to me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad idea, but you can make something mich smaller and almost free. I have been using a 2L bottle for years and it works great.
I've been considering trying the 2L thing because then I should be able to just put a modded cap into my travel toolkit and be one soda purchase away from being able to do some on-the-fly tubeless repairs. But I wanted something sturdy and fast with minimal fiddling because I'd been trying to get this tire set-up for a couple of days. Also I can use this tank to fill my wife's car tires in the apartment parking lot instead her insisting we take a field trip to the gas station every time the tire inflation light come on.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Years ago (like 40 years) I had a tank like that and would stop by and fill it to 120psi at a gas station, back when they had free copious air. Since I've had various air compressors useful for airing up car/moto tires, blowing debris off items I'm working on and powering air tools. I use floor pumps on my bike tires except when a blast might be required to seat a tubeless tire. You can get small airless compressors pretty cheaply. HF has them with 3 gal tanks for < $60.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get small airless compressors pretty cheaply. HF has them with 3 gal tanks for < $60.
Yeah, I considered that mainly because I thought it'd be slightly easier to carry home on my bike, but my solution was slightly cheaper than that, and it has the benefit of my being able to use at locations that might not have power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.