Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
The difference between the weight of a valve + sealant compared to a tube. The weight loss might not be that big but there are other and nicer advantages: You'll have waaaaaaaaaay less flats and you can ride at lower pressure.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
From changing from tubes to tubeless , how much weight what I actually save going to tubeless ?
You didn't mention wheels. Are you getting new tubeless ready wheels, or converting your current set? Any weight change between wheel sets if swapping?

As mentioned above, it's not really about the weight savings. However - it can be a bit of a trim depending on your wheel situation, tire situation, and what you use to do the conversion.

2 ounces of Stans Sauce per tire = 56.69g x 2, or 113.38g for the bike. Compare that 113.38g to what your two tubes weigh that you have been using.

There's probably a good chance you have Velox or some such rim tape on your rims, right? If so, that could mean a savings going from your current rim tape to Stans yellow tape. Not much, but it could be a bit. I was already running strapping tape with tubes, so a swap to Stans yellow tape was a net-net non weight loss swap.

And of course, your choice of tires could be critical if attempting to maintain the same rotating weight, or cut the rotating weight. True tubeless tires, and some of the tubeless ready tires with a bit more sidewall protection may weigh more than your current tires.

All that being said - weight savings will have to do with your wheels, your tire choice, and how much your current tubes weigh before doing the conversion.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I converted my 29" Bontrager Rhythm Elite's to tubeless and weighed the Wheel/Tire/Tube vs. the Wheel/Tire/Bontrager rim strip/Valve/1.75oz of Stans, and came up with a 34 gram weight savings each for the tubeless, so 68 grams total.

Matt

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
From changing from tubes to tubeless , how much weight what I actually save going to tubeless ?
Depends on the tube.

I use 90 gram Flyweight tubes, so in my case, no weight is saved.

I tried tubeless, but gave up. I had way too many issues. The hassle/benefit ratio was not worth it to me. I only flat once or twice a year, so that is hardly a benefit to me. When I was running tubeless, it was often flat before I go ride, or burped a sidewall 5 miles into a ride and I would put a tube in anyway.

I would probably feel differently about tubeless if I rode somewhere with thorns. That said, I just run Slime tubes on my road bike, which is where I get a flat something like every three times I go out. Lots of crushed acorns on the bike paths around here, and they seem to poke holes in my no-knob tires. I don't have that issue on the same paths with my knobby tired bikes.

Like Bruce says, you might have heavy rims trips already. The butyl strips are around 25g, IIRC. Velox around 20g. Stan's Tape is 5-7 grams, IIRC. I used to actually have this stuff off the top of my head a decade ago when I cared more about gram counting, but not so much these days.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
My stock tubes weighed in at 221gm each...so 2 fl oz. of Stan's + Stan's valve stem + rim tape was the total weight. It came pre-installed (tape) and on a new wheelset. But between the new wheels and going tubeless, I dropped 2.07 pounds. It was WAY worth it, but not just for the weight savings. It feels like you're riding on a dodgeball. So cush.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah thank you everyone, I've always wanted to do it but just stayed with tubes .My current setup is stans crests 29 er rims and Maxxis CROSSMARK tires. I just run regular tubes right now I thought about going ultra light tubes and try it. I might get one flat of year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah thank you everyone, I've always wanted to do it but just stayed with tubes .My current setup is stans crests 29 er rims and Maxxis CROSSMARK tires. I just run regular tubes right now I thought about going ultra light tubes and try it. I might get one flat of year.
I have the same wheels but with Racing Ralphs. They are very easy to set up tubeless.

Just to give you an idea: I went riding with a friend last Sunday. A 55km ride on medium terrain. He had 3 flats with tubes. I had zero with my tubeless. We ride every week and on average he has about 1 flat per ride, I've never had one. He decided to go tubeless now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Too many factors to answer that question as tubes weigh different amounts and different tubeless kits weigh different amounts.

I didn't do tubeless for weight but when I switched I did save roughly 1/2 lb per wheel.
However about half of that was because I used a little lighter tire (again not to save weight but because of the good rating and it fit my riding style and terrain).

·
Magically Delicious
12,579 Posts
I currently am running tubeless and it's acceptable. Before, I was running light tubes with sealant and rarely had any flats. Now, when I do have a flat on the trail, it's a PITA to deal with compared to tubes. We all have our crosses to bear, so whatever floats your boat.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
I have yet to have flats with either wheelset. Been tubeless for a couple of months (only a few rides in), rode for over a year with tubed tires.
Just about any wheel will work with the Stan's setup...I'm using $15 Duro tires from Jenson...no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.