Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been riding for a good few years, part commuting and part thundering weekend heroics. I recently bought a new bike which came with Mavic XM819 UST rims. The tubeless tyres have been good so far but I also have a pile of standard tyres and would like to be able use them too. So, here's my question - will a tubeless rim take a standard tyre with tube? I know there are kits to convert tubed to tubeless but what about the other way round?

I read on another forum that there shouldn't be any problem doing this - they even said they'd managed to fit a standard tyre without a tube in - but I can't get it to work.

I tried fixing a beaded tyre with tube to the Mavic rim but it seems impossible to seat the bead all the way round; you end up with a wheel with 'flat spot' where the bead slips off the outer lip and into the central U section. Could just be me of course!

Chops.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I ran Mavic Crossland USTs with a tube for a few years. Shouldn't be an issue as long as your tube sizes are close to correct. I do seem to remember it was sometime difficult to get the tires to seat. This also probably has a lot to do with what kind of tires you run. I always ran Panaracer Fire XCs or Kenda Nevegals.

Also, as far as I know, most folks including myself, who run tubeless carry tubes for the rare flat or blowout.

All of that being said, I would never switch back to tubes!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I dont think you should have much of an issue using regular tires. Remember to soap the bead and rim eventhough you are using a tube. It helps the non ust bead set in straight.

Also, dont use too big a tube. Like using a 2.2 -2.5 tube in a 2.0 tire. There is less room for the tube in a ust rim.

I have a tube as back up on the trail. I had to use it 2 weeks ago when I gashed the sidewall. I just pulled the stem, put the tube in and it aired up fine.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
laughingchops said:
I tried fixing a beaded tyre with tube to the Mavic rim but it seems impossible to seat the bead all the way round; you end up with a wheel with 'flat spot' where the bead slips off the outer lip and into the central U section. Could just be me of course!

Chops.
To get the bead to seat, you're going to have to go up around 60+ psi. Plus put some soapy water around the bead. You can also try leaving it out in the sun, heating up the tire and making it more flexible and expand a bit.

Another option is to run all those tires tubeless, using stan's solution.

·
Registered
240 Posts
be careful going anything over 60#. best recommendation is to run them tubeless.....seat with tube if needed, soap the bead. if it is not seating all the way, pump to about 50-55# and put on a "grippy" glove, something like a nitrile gardening/mechanics glove. grab the tire where it has not seated all the way and try to twist it away from that point. you will probably find it will seat. last weekend a bud pumped his past 60.......booooom!! blew it right off the rim, and often as was the case in this situation, it stretched the bead and the tire is worthless. if you are running tubeless at all (in any combination) you should run stan's (IMHO). i built up two different setups in the last few weeks using different brand tubed tires on mavic 823's. one would not seal completely for about two days.....had put in the required amount of stans.......just kept reinflating and shaking and rotating the tires. once the sealed, they have held air perfect for the last couple weeks. no issues. the second set was hard to seat, but i used the techniques above and it has worked like a champ. run 'em tubeless! carry a tube with you. all you'll need to do is remove the tubeless stem and put in the tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.