Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went tubeless on my 29er tires. I used STAN'S sealant to seal my tires l. I know that you
need to remove the "boogers" and add more sealant. My question is how often do you need to add more sealant. I have been riding on the same sealant for about 20 days. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
it largely depends on how dry your area is. Approximately once per 6 months is a fairly safe bet. More often means its less likely you're stuck on the side of the trail with a tire you can't seat.

·
Magically Delicious
9,897 Posts
You'll get a wide range of answers on this one. Several factors to consider such as frequency of riding, environment, temps, etc. I can usually go 5 or sometimes 6 months before dealing with it.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,782 Posts
19 days.

:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spencerespencer, I live in northern AZ and have to say, its very dry this winter. Sealant dries up quickly here. I would pop open your bead about every month and see if you have any sealant left... Or if you can't hear it sloshing around inside your tire then pop the bead and take a look. If not, add about 3-4 oz per tire and you will be good to go. If you are ever in the Prescott area hit me up!

·
GONE
25,587 Posts
Pull a wheel off periodically and shake it. If you can hear the sealant sloshing around in there, you should be fine adding some every 4-6 months. If you can't hear anything, it's time to add some right there and then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the current humidity is 10% here, so it doesn't last long. If you are using Stans sealant I would check every month. If using something else I would check about every 6 weeks or so. I know when I checked mine at the 3 month mark last year I had a big latex booger the size of my fist inside the tire and no liquid at all. I would have been screwed if I waited longer to check. Here I check every 4-6 weeks for safe measure only. I have used Orange seal and it seems to last longer but doesn't seal as quick as Stans. YMMV

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would switch to orange seal. It stays liquid and lasts much longer in dry climates
I have to say I wasn't impressed with orange seal lately. If I had to do it over again I might add a little corn meal to the orange seal mix to help it clot faster. I just saw a 1/8th inch sidewall puncture NOT seal with orange seal because it wouldn't clot well. I tried like hell too but had to put a tube in to finish my ride. Small punctures are good to go with orange seal though.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks! So every month 3-4oz. If I'm ever up there I will let you know :)
I'd check it before you just add more sealant; pretty soon your tires will be full! 3 oz every month would be a lot for my tires.

Mine lasts 5-6 months here in Utah, which is also pretty dry. I check every couple months, and as long as there is some left, I leave it alone. Haven't had a flat yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have to say I wasn't impressed with orange seal lately. If I had to do it over again I might add a little corn meal to the orange seal mix to help it clot faster. I just saw a 1/8th inch sidewall puncture NOT seal with orange seal because it wouldn't clot well. I tried like hell too but had to put a tube in to finish my ride. Small punctures are good to go with orange seal though.
It takes longer to seal and you have to keep the wheel moving.

I like it better nothing sealz torn sidewalls and at least i dont have to tear out a pound of useless buggers every year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts