Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, when you leave your tubeless tire with Stan's in a hot car for the day. It blows up. I did not know this.:rolleyes:

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Yeah man, you need to let it behind the seat, with exactly 1.871234 ounces of sealant in and 37.592 PSI of pressure in VERTICAL position. Now there is a special trick to get it to explode. It must rest in the sun for 3.72 minutes EXACTLY, then get in the shade, rest there for another 24 to 24.5 minutes at over 32 celcius. Then POW.

Bleh

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I had that happen with tubes, hence my rude comment. I was sitting next to the bike eating lunch, then PSSSSSSSST... flat!

Ok not quite the same thing, but the point is, Stan's has nothing to do with it.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shark said:
LOL ^

What pressure did you have in the tire in the first place???
I have never ever seen a tire do that, tubeless or not.

oh yah...
PICS or it didn't happen....

:)
Sorry Man, no pics. I had a Big Betty Tubeless tire mounted on 819 rim. Inflated to 30 lbs.
Left in in the back of my car after a morning ride. Went to ride the next day, and the tire had completely blown off the rim on one side. I'm guessing something to do with the amonia in Stan's and the extreme heat. It was in the lower 90's that day and the car was in the sun all afternoon.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
I quickly learned that you can't leave a Stan's sealant-filled tire in a car on hot days.

I was lucky that I didn't have a blowout, but all my sealant evaporated in one afternoon once. Fortunately, I am allowed to bring my bike inside the office with me so it doesn't have to sit in the car while I earn my ride.

I don't know the composition of Stan's but anytime you have a liquid change state to gas, the volume increases, so the pressure in your tire may have increased well past the safe threshold for the tire/rim combo. I believe I didn't have a blowout because my tires are not tubeless and therefore have somewhat porous sidewalls, allowing the pressure to escape rather than build up.

If you have no choice but to leave the bike in the car, I believe the best course of action is to deflate the tires as much as possible without unseating the bead. This should allow the gases to expand without blowing out the tire.

Keep in mind that the outside temperature is not the real enemy - it's the temperature inside the car, which can get quite high this time of year even on a cool day if the car is sitting in the sun.

-Pete

·
Registered
566 Posts
It regularly hits 115° here mid day in the summer. I frequently leave my bike in my vehicle all day during the heat. Racing Ralph 26.2.25" EVO running tubeless with Stan's. I haven't experience any issues.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So if Stan's liquid turns to gas when it's hot, does it turn back to liquid when it cools, or do you need to put in more goop?

I've also heard that using co2 to refill the tires is a bad idea for sort of the opposite reason.

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
It was the french fry that got left inside the tube. French fries react violently to heat, you've heard them while being cooked openly, under pressure they go ssszzkapow!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
GuruAtma said:
So if Stan's liquid turns to gas when it's hot, does it turn back to liquid when it cools, or do you need to put in more goop?

I've also heard that using co2 to refill the tires is a bad idea for sort of the opposite reason.
The volitile (rapidly evaportating component) in Stans is amonia. The entire mixture doesn't turn to gas, only the amonia. And pretty much no, it doesn't turn back to liquid when it cools down. So high heat tends to leave you with latex alone and the little sealing bits. Just kind of a thick soup that doesn't do much. You'll need to replenish the sealant.

CO2 reacts with stans in a different manner. It doesn't affect the amonia for the most part, it affects the latex. It tends to cause it to congeal and become lumpy. Not a good thing.

Either situation will affect the ability of the sealant to work.

Good Dirt

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
I don't think the blowing off the rim had anything to do with the Stan's, but with the Schwable UST tires. I've had three Schwalbe UST tires blow off of rims. I've seen a few more blow off on friend's bikes as well.

I had a 2.25 NN (@ 30 psi) suddenly blow off in January (winter and cold) while I was gearing up prior to a ride. The tire had been mounted on the same rim and ridden for four months prior to blowing off (no sealant was used). The other two tires were 2.25 Rocket Rons that blew off while mounting.

I've switched to the non-UST versions and run them tubeless (w/sealant) on the same rims at low psi with no problems (including burping).

Most likely your Big Betty is toast, and won't remount or will have a huge wobble if it stays on the rim.

i1dry?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts