Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pin sized hole in my tire and 'm wondering if there's any repair to repair is, patch kits don't work. Can I just buy some stans and put it over the hole?

THanks

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
timms said:
I have a pin sized hole in my tire and 'm wondering if there's any repair to repair is, patch kits don't work. Can I just buy some stans and put it over the hole?

THanks
For a pin sized hole Stan's should work.

Also mark the hole, take the tire off and put a patch on the inside should work fine.

Also a drop of superglue, pushed into the hole should also work.

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
timms said:

THanks
Patch kits should work fine. You have to make sure that you clean the tire really well and make sure that you scuff the release stuff off the inside of the tire with the sandpaper that comes with the patch kit.:thumbsup:

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
Ok,... what kind of patch kit? Glue, glueless? Are you sure you are getting all the release wax off the inside of the tire? I would think that the superglue would come loose because it isn't flexable.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
The super glue fix comes from Mavic (I think).

Hutchison sells a little tubeless tire repair kit that has a bottle of super glue with a neddle top to get the stuff into the tire, the kit also has patchs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you really can't get the patch to work and are willing to pay 10 or 15 bucks, you could take it to the auto mechanic. They have a heavy-duty patch setup that works on car tires, so it must work on bike tires. Note that I'm not talking about the plug they appy from the outside; I'm talking about a patch similar to a bike tire patch that they apply from the inside after taking the tire off the rim. Some shops use the plug, some use the patch, so you might have to call a couple of places to find one who does the patch. But that should fix 'er right up.

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
If it's a very small hole, just run Stan's sealant. Super glue works very well on small holes too, but I've only done it with Stan's.

It it's a bigger hole (1/4 inch) then you can patch it. However, a standard rubber-cement patch will not adhere to the inside of a tire -- unless you treat the inside of tire around the hole first. You'll need tire buffing fluid, which is available from better auto supply stores. I wouldn't use sandpaper on the inside of the tire, you could damage the threads and cause a delamination.

Mountain Bike Action posted instruction a while back. I've done this to 3 different tires and it works like a charm, sealed the hole and the patches are still in place over a year later.

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=430

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.