Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on a good tubeless 29 rear tire setup for my DT Swiss 520 rim. I tried to set it up with on older Spec Captain tire but it keeps on burping (tire must be worn out). This Captain tire also didn't feel very sturdy while riding it.
I mainly ride hard/med pack with rocky climbs occasionally. I was thinking about a more beefy tire (I'm 210 Lbs). Considering the Maxxis 2.25 Ardent EXO Tire.
What's a good tubeless tire for this rim, any good recommendations? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The problem is the rim, not the tire. I've ran the M520 in the past tubeless with just rim tape and valves and found it very burp prone (crashed a couple times from burps even though Specialized supplied the valve stems and had taped the rims) with tubeless ready tires unless you ran 30+ psi. I would recommend using the DT XM/M 29 tubeless kit which will give you a UST compliant inner rim shape that will help prevent burps. Using this with some tubeless ready tires should help reduce or even eliminate burps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have gorilla tape in my 520 rim now, Is it better to leave it in and put the DT Swiss rim tape on top of it or remove the gorilla tape first? I noticed the 520 rim is deeper than my old DT Swiss 470 rim and I never had issue with that one (set up with gorilla tape).
Hoping this will stop the burping together with a new tire, kinda bummed that this new rim didn't perform as hoped! BTW, the front tire of my 520 wheel is set up with gorilla tape and a Ground Control tire and never had a burping issue, it's only the rear tire..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts