Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this over in the Wheels and Tires forum but I need an answer ASAP so I can set up for a night ride tonight.

Can I mount my Nokian studded snow tires (Extreme 294's, which are not tubeless tires) on my Crossmax SL rims? Of course I'll be using Stan's. I feel really dumb asking this, but will it work?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rooster said:
I asked this over in the Wheels and Tires forum but I need an answer ASAP so I can set up for a night ride tonight.

Can I mount my Nokian studded snow tires (Extreme 294's, which are not tubeless tires) on my Crossmax SL rims? Of course I'll be using Stan's. I feel really dumb asking this, but will it work?
don't see why it wouldn't, though my only concern would be about the stan's freezing up and pretty much being rendered worthless. i guess if one wanted to test this you could put some of it in the freezer and see how it changes. most worthwhile would be some that had already dried, as this is what would seal the sides of the tires. assuming that the cold doesn't change the properties too much i don't see why you wouldn't be good to go.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'll go with Shiggy on this one. I have already had my studs on for about 6 weeks and before long I will be taking them off. A bottle of Stans isnt really that cheap and when I have put tubeless on with sealant I plan on keeping the tires on till they are worn out. The studs will only be on a couple of months.

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fyi

Alright, thanks for the discussion. I wound up putting Slime Tubes in. Man, they're heavy!Going from tubeless Kenda Nevagals to tubed studded must of added 3 - 4 pounds. FWIW, I called up No-Tubes and asked how their sealent worked in cold weather; they said its good down to -30dF.

Thanks again for the input

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Rooster said:
Alright, thanks for the discussion. I wound up putting Slime Tubes in. Man, they're heavy!Going from tubeless Kenda Nevagals to tubed studded must of added 3 - 4 pounds. FWIW, I called up No-Tubes and asked how their sealent worked in cold weather; they said its good down to -30dF.

Thanks again for the input
Why Slime tubes instead of regular tubes? Thorns are not usually an issue in snow/ice.

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two of the riders on our ride last night had flats. It was to friggin cold to do an inspection to what may have caused the flats. Here in RI, 20 degrees F and snow on the ground don't slow down our bull briars, it just makes them meaner. If something bad can happen, I'm the type of person who likes to take steps to avoid it. Belts AND suspenders for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.