Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I mount my Nokian studded snow tires (Extreme 294's, which are not tubeless tires) on my Crossmax SL rims? Of course I'll be using Stan's. I feel really dumb asking this, but will it work?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Maybe. I have not heard of anyone trying it. May take a while for them to seal. With the additional info you posted on General, use inner tubes. Do you want to risk an air loss and messy repair on a cold night ride?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did it. Nokian Extremes on Mavic 717s. There's a trick to getting the bead to seat. Take a piece of pipe insulation (gray close celled foam from Home Depot) and cut off a 1 inch long piece. When mounting the tire on the rim place this piece of insulation inside the tire at the stem. It will force the tire outward at the stem and start the bead seating. Once started the rest of the bead will follow. Inflate the tire using a compressor and with the valve core removed. This seats the bead. Then insert the valve core and inflate again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did it

I did exactly what you are doing. I put Nokian 294s an my Crossmax SLs tubeless. Mounted and sealed no problems. A little rim leaks but added Stans and laid flat overnight per side (as on Stans video).

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts