Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tubeless spoke hole plugs?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lampee 
#1 ·
Are there any tubeless plugs out there that people are using with success?

I have a set of Light Bicycle wheels and the tires are on there so tight I couldn’t even get a tire lever under the bead and had to cut the tire off to get it off. The tire was worn so I was throwing it away anyway but that wouldn’t work trail side if I got a flat.

I was thinking plugs instead of tape might make reduce the overall diameter enough to make easier. I’ve changed hundreds of tires on dozens of wheelsets, not an issue of technique.

#8 ·
Ouch! I can see that it does appear to be a recurring problem. Perhaps the wheelset is on the upper end of the acceptable tolerance, or maybe even above it.

I'm afraid I haven't faced such an issue before, and I don't have advice I could share. The only things that come to mind are tire plugs and a good set of tire levers with metal cores.

An email to GMBN Tech or GCN Tech could yield results if nothing else comes up here.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I've had success dismounting a impossible tire by using soapy lube, same as if I were mounting it. whole bead both sides you can squeeze that last millimeter out of the thing and fork it over. of course using gloves so you can still wrestle with it

#13 ·
Seems counterintuitive to me having 24, 28 or 32 single points of failure compared to an overlapped wrap or two of tape on the inner part of the rim...

I've never had an issue using Stan's or 3m tape on any of my tubeless wheel sets (running a mix of rims: Bontrager, LB, Nextie and all the rest Arch, ArchEX, Crest, Flow and FlowEX).

#14 ·
Sorry to revive an old post, but I am relatively pissed. I mean is Roval really for real? There are 50pc spoke plugs in the bag, but there are actually 24+28=52 spokes on the wheels. Does anyone have two plugs so I wouldn't have to buy another bag? I could pay double price + shipping :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.