Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it's possible to convert my current setup to tubeless, and what gear I would need to get. I have WTB st i23 rims (29") which are WTB's tubeless standard (TCS) and currently have Maxxis Ardent Exo front and rear.

I know that if I were to get some WTB TCS tyres I could go tubeless with just a valve, sealant and some extra layers of rim tape, but I was wondering if I get a stan's kit (i'm thinking the 29er AM kit would probably do the job) whether I can convert my current setup, without having to replace tyres (also WTBs TCS tyres are expensive). Has anybody had any experience with setting up these rims tubeless with Maxxis tyres, and if so what gear did you use? Does the TCS rim shape affect the use of stans rim strip?

I have also just moved to New Caledonia from NZ and things are hard to come by here, so I would probably be relying on ordering things online.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am wondering if it's possible to convert my current setup to tubeless, and what gear I would need to get. I have WTB st i23 rims (29") which are WTB's tubeless standard (TCS) and currently have Maxxis Ardent Exo front and rear.

I know that if I were to get some WTB TCS tyres I could go tubeless with just a valve, sealant and some extra layers of rim tape, but I was wondering if I get a stan's kit (i'm thinking the 29er AM kit would probably do the job) whether I can convert my current setup, without having to replace tyres (also WTBs TCS tyres are expensive). Has anybody had any experience with setting up these rims tubeless with Maxxis tyres, and if so what gear did you use? Does the TCS rim shape affect the use of stans rim strip?

I have also just moved to New Caledonia from NZ and things are hard to come by here, so I would probably be relying on ordering things online.

Any advice much appreciated.
Any UST compatible tubeless/tubeless ready tire works great on the WTB i23 rims with the 28mm wide WTB rim tape.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Second what Shiggy said, but I think putting a Stan's rim strip would be a bad idea. That sort of builds up the bead seat so that non-tubeless tires and non-tubeless rims will work together. The i23s are made with a UST-compatible bead seat/hook, so I think adding the stan's rim strip will make it very had to get a tire to seat. Also, potentially unsafe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought that maybe the stans rim strip would interfere with the set up due to the TCS rim profile. The tyres I have don't have UST, or anything on them related to tubeless ready and I've just checked the model numbers on the maxxis website and they are just the standard EXO (non TR) type. I might just ride them until they need replacing and then invest in some tubeless ready or TCS tyres and then go tubeless. I guess the heavier wheel set-up will make me stronger anyway. Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep them in mind for the future.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
I installed some nearly worn out 3 year old regular folding bead Minion DHFs on a new set of i23s with only the standard rim tape, Stan's sealant and some tubeless valves. Was as easy as an easy thing to do and worked fine; I just replaced them with a new set of the same tyre and all is good. Maxxis regular (i.e. non-UST/TR) seem to work fine tubeless with sealant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts