Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question I have 80mm rims going to convert tubeless & going to use the window foam strip, do you apply the window foam over the tape or tape over the foam? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I only had to use that method once for mounting Spesh 4.6 GC's split-tube on Daryls as they wouldn't air up with the compressor. It was Rim Strip/foam/Tube and it aired right up.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
With all that weight to do each layer, a 24" split tube is much better. If you're doing it on he weinmann 80mm hoops, it's not going to work well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using window foam (the weight is negatuble 50 ft roll weigh .20 lbs
) & sunringle mulefoot tape which is
very light
With all that weight to do each layer, a 24" split tube is much better. If you're doing it on he weinmann 80mm hoops, it's not going to work well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it doesn't seem to be porous I have soaked a strip in water & no weight was added & if the taped goes over the foam then the foam shouldn't get wet, thape is some kind of plastic/vinyl
Wait till it soaks up sealant...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are you saying that the 24" split tube method DOES work for tubless on the Weinmann 80mm rims?

My LBS tried several methods to get mine set up tubless before giving up as it was just too sloppy a fit with the old Vee Snowshoes I was running at the time. I'd still like to go tubeless and drop the fat tube weight; but don't want the tire rolling off the rim either.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
Are you saying that the 24" split tube method DOES work for tubless on the Weinmann 80mm rims?

My LBS tried several methods to get mine set up tubless before giving up as it was just too sloppy a fit with the old Vee Snowshoes I was running at the time. I'd still like to go tubeless and drop the fat tube weight; but don't want the tire rolling off the rim either.
Is the only way for those wheels. Schwalbe 24" x 2.5" tube. The presta core is removable and it makes for a fairly tight setup. Split the tube once it's on the wheel, the mount the tire and inflate. Trim the extra tub once it's aired up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts