Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great lunch ride yesterday. The last 1/2mile or so I could hear a different pitch coming from my front tire. At a glance it looked ok and I went on business as usual. Got back to the car and loaded the bike only to see my front tire was almost completely flat. By the time I got home it was toast. Thankfully the puncture was not on the sidewall so I will be cleaning out the tire this weekend and putting in some fresh Stan's.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good pics.
Is that a rattle snake hiding in the bushes??
Is gas really only $3.35 there today??
Yes, that is FLAT!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't get it?
"Tubless Saved my butt again"

But your tire is flat...so...if you had a tube in there..same flat..how again were you saved?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
How big was the hole? Seems kind of odd that the sealant didn't stop the leak altogether on a small puncture. On a few occasions, I've heard and seen bubbling for 10 seconds or so, and then the leak is done and I don't lose anymore air. The only time I've had a tire slowly go flat while running tubeless was due to an inch long slice in my sidewall. The sealant was doing the best it could, but it bubbled and leaked for about 20 minutes until it went flat.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good pics.
Is that a rattle snake hiding in the bushes??
Is gas really only $3.35 there today??
Yes, that is FLAT!
A little research and I found out that was a Texas Rat snake. It fluttered it's tail like a rattlesnake when I got too close. Yep, gas here in South Texas is $3.35 and is steadily going up.

I don't get it?
"Tubless Saved my butt again"

But your tire is flat...so...if you had a tube in there..same flat..how again were you saved?
Well, I guess there was enough "juice" in the tubes to get me back to my car. It didn't go completely flat until I was home.

How big was the hole? Seems kind of odd that the sealant didn't stop the leak altogether on a small puncture. On a few occasions, I've heard and seen bubbling for 10 seconds or so, and then the leak is done and I don't lose anymore air. The only time I've had a tire slowly go flat while running tubeless was due to an inch long slice in my sidewall. The sealant was doing the best it could, but it bubbled and leaked for about 20 minutes until it went flat.
I think it was a small slit. I could see the wet spot and hear the air leaking out. It was probably running low on sealant and did the best with what was still in there. I do carry a small 2oz bottle with me for just such an occasion.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think it was a small slit. I could see the wet spot and hear the air leaking out. It was probably running low on sealant and did the best with what was still in there. I do carry a small 2oz bottle with me for just such an occasion.
I've had a few small slits and even a sidewall slice about 1 inch long. My tire didn't even go flat. Tubes saved my butt again. I carry an extra one just in case.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a few small slits and even a sidewall slice about 1 inch long. My tire didn't even go flat. Tubes saved my butt again. I carry an extra one just in case.
I carry a spare TUBE also along with the extra 2oz of juice. I have no desire to walk back from a long ride out.

·
GONE
25,586 Posts
Yeah where's gas $3.35 right now? I just paid $4.25 in our town, geez! Guess I gotta pay for this view too. Glad the tubeless held up for you. Definitely the way to go.
I like the view of the rock and the bay from up there at MdO. :thumbsup:

I've taken the same picture myself in the past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts