Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Intense Spider 275C
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am installing some tubeless rim take on my Dad's full rigid Sette Razzo, and we are not sure about the rim tape width. I never installed Tubeless rim tape before, so I am not sure if it is too wide or if we can get away with it.
Thank you all so much!
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part Rim
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part Rim

· It's carbon dontcha know.
4,727 Posts
Hello! I am installing some tubeless rim take on my Dad's full rigid Sette Razzo, and we are not sure about the rim tape width. I never installed Tubeless rim tape before, so I am not sure if it is too wide or if we can get away with it.
Thank you all so much!
View attachment 2019360 View attachment 2019360
Looks good to me, you want it like that, bead to bead.

*If this is a cheap Performance bike (given that Sette is their own house brand IIRC), are you sure the rims are tubeless compatible?

· Registered
379 Posts
You might want to shoot an email to the rim manufacturer and see what they recommend 👍
You'll find not every manufacturer has the same specs.

For instance:
WTB: 5mm wider than internal rim width
Alex Rims: match tape width to internal rim width
Light Bicycle Carbon Rims: 25mm regardless of width, just need to cover spoke holes.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Looks about right. Prep the rim with steel wool or a 3M scouring pad (no soap of course) then clean with an alcohol wipe to get maximum adhesion. If you get sealant on the rim it'll never stick well unless you do this.

And remember that it's the adhesion to the flat surfaces on either side of the rim channel that really make the seal, not the rim channel itself.

· Trail Ninja
6,769 Posts
+1 on stan's tape. Good balance of easy-install, clean adhesion, resistance to edges peeling upon tire uninstallation, low air permeability, longevity, value, etc.

Bad tape installs are ugly. Stan's did all the research to take user guesswork out. I don't mind tape going up the flanges. Seems better than having the risk of edges being exposed to tire levers and and tire beads.

· Registered
77 Posts
You might want to shoot an email to the rim manufacturer and see what they recommend 👍
You'll find not every manufacturer has the same specs.

For instance:
WTB: 5mm wider than internal rim width
Alex Rims: match tape width to internal rim width
Light Bicycle Carbon Rims: 25mm regardless of width, just need to cover spoke holes.
I haven't had to work on them but my LB road set with no access holes is awesome. Will probably go with that again whenever I need a new mtb set.

A LBS owner I talked to always goes a couple mm narrower than ID so I'll probably try that next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts