Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that specialized, Bontrager, and CaffeLatex sell tubeless rim strips that can be used in place of tape. What are your experiences with these strips? Do they work well? Less hassle or more hassle than tape? Any downsides I should be aware of?

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
my experience with the bontrager strips is that they can only be used with the SPECIFIC rim for which they were designed. you might be able to shoehorn one into a different rim, but there's no guarantee it will work. that was a few years ago, I will have to see if they have a new version...

the Caffe Latex one does not need adhesive tape, according to them https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/caffelatex-tubeless-strip/

edit: I didn't tell you anything you did not already know and that's not helpful.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,053 Posts
mack_turtle is right that Bontrager rimstrips are for specific rims. They are thicker and profiled which makes them very good. Friend of mine just got a set of Fulcrum wheels that came with Caffelatex strips. Haven’t heard about his experiences yet.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ totally. Bontrager strips are for specific rims that they are molded to fit. They also have in interior flat molded feature for their valves that seal to the strip with an o-ring. They are the best tubeless setup in my opinion.

I haven't used the Caffelatex strips but the problem I've run into with other non-molded non-adhesive strips is that they can shift and lose the seal with the bead of the tire. Judging from their info, these look pretty tough and tight on the rim so may be less prone to doing so.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Threw one of those Specialized 30mm rim strips into my WAO Agent 29 rim after replacing a few broken spokes. Wondering why we haven’t been using rim strips all along. I see no need for tape going forward.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the Effetto Mariposa Tubeless strip in my wheels and i've had zero issues with them. They sit super tight into the rim and are not sliding around.
I use the Plus S 29" in my WTB Asym i29 rims but you will need to trim the side of the strip around the valve area as the pre punched hole in the strim is centered in the strip. As an alternative to trimming the strip you could block the pre bunched hole and make your own offset hole in the strip. I would go down that route next time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the Effetto Mariposa Tubeless strip in my wheels and i've had zero issues with them. They sit super tight into the rim and are not sliding around.
I use the Plus S 29" in my WTB Asym i29 rims but you will need to trim the side of the strip around the valve area as the pre punched hole in the strim is centered in the strip. As an alternative to trimming the strip you could block the pre bunched hole and make your own offset hole in the strip. I would go down that route next time.
Great info, thanks.
With the valve in the asymmetric rim being located off-center, was wondering how that would work. Effetto's site indicates the strips work with asymmetric but i couldn't find any specifics on if the strip would stretch enough for the off-center valve location, modifying it, etc...
Had not thought of blocking the pre-punched hole to make your own offset one.
Wonder what would be a good material to block it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great info, thanks.
With the valve in the asymmetric rim being located off-center, was wondering how that would work. Effetto's site indicates the strips work with asymmetric but i couldn't find any specifics on if the strip would stretch enough for the off-center valve location, modifying it, etc...
Had not thought of blocking the pre-punched hole to make your own offset one.
Wonder what would be a good material to block it?
If you could find a flatheaded plastic plug that could be pushed through from the rim side, I think that would be the best solution. Dont think that rim tape will stick to the strip very well but mabey Gorilla tape. Also thought about a regular patch for tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.