Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are a few tubeless labeled rims out there. I am wondering what people's experiences are. Namely, what are there rims that seem to have persistent problems and maybe should be avoided. I would prefer if said rim had been ridden at very low psi. Now, I don't care about people converting their current wheels, more interested to hear about how the current "tubeless" rims are doing.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Had great luck with Uma 90's down to as low as a person wants to go. Had em set up with BFL's and Bud and Lou no issues with either with just a wrap of fat Stans. I wish I would've never sold em, grass is not always greener on the other side :(

I'm sure you have already heard the reports on the Umas though but I have some friends that keep burping the 70's and not sure why? Maybe they aren't getting the bead seated good enough.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I also had no issues with the UMA 70's, even at ridiculously low pressure. I now have Sarma Naran 80's and they are awesome for tubeless as well.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Another tubeless thread.
Awesome.
Any rim....and any tire....can be set up tubeless.
Whether you are capable of doing the fairly simple task is another question.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Another tubeless thread.
Awesome.
The question was about experiences, not setting them up.

There's loads of new rims, and that's why I hit this thread instead of raking through all the historical stuff.

It is a perfectly valid thread IMO.

·
Laramie, Wyoming
1,941 Posts
Another tubeless thread.
Awesome.
Did you miss the part about "tubeless" rims? Not rims that someone has made to run tubeless.

Logantri, we've talked some but I've had a few days of really low pressures lately and have been impressed with the Carbondales. Today's ride was one of those where when starting out I thought it was silly of us to be out riding. 4-5" minimum of new snow. I meant to go to 2-3 psi in front but when I checked it, 1 psi. It worked well there. The rear, I played with a little between 2-4 psi.

One thing I'm noticing and did a lot on today's ride is that the super low pressure in the rear isn't as helpful on the 85mm rims as it is on the 100mm rims. The tire rolls more and doesn't seem to be as stable on slight cambers. For what most people are riding, the 85mm rim is probably great, but for the very deep and often not well packed trails that I ride, the 100mm rim is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts