Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people bringing with them on the ride in case of a flat on a tubeless tire?

I brought a tube and trail pump on my first tubeless ride yesterday, but I was curious as to what others are doing. I mean you don't have to worry about a pinch flat, but what about thorns.

Could you get away with just tire glue and a CO2 cartridge? Or, maybe just Stan's? I'd prefer getting rid of my seat bag altogether if I could...

·
I love Pisgah
3,405 Posts
Tube is the fix all. I've seen too many co2's f-up from rider screwups and such, including me. Then what? Having said that...I just fixed a sidewall cut to a std RRalph with patch kit, on the outside of the sidewall no less. I use Stans and cut the side recently. Stans sealed it, but I did it later for extra security.

Me? I'd still carry a tube, pump, patch kit. Try the patch kit first on the inside surface(assming the leak is at the tread area). If all else fails, the tube will always work.

The good news is, you usually will never need it if your running ust.

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
857 Posts

Tubeless sealant, Michelin says that "Note: Punctures larger than a small nail hole or very small cut should be repaired with an approved glue-on (vulcanizing fluid) puncture repair kits.", or you could try using the big cans you get at autoshops (I haven't tried it). When I say big I mean goes in your CamelBakk big, these cans are for car tyres and car tyres aren't the same size as bike tyres.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,067 Posts
Superglue?

Stan's works well. It's what I've got in my tires and (knocking on wood) I haven't had a flat yet this season.

I've heard that you can carry a tube of superglue and patch small holes with it. Just put a drop or two into the hole, wait a few seconds and inflate the tire. I've never had to do this, so I don't know how well it works. You'll probably need to patch the inside of the tire later on, but at least you can continue your ride. :D

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Superglue

I don't want to mess with the mess of Stan's goop so I use superglue. Keep the tire seated on the rim, find the hole, put one drop on, wait about 2 minutes, and pump it up. Before you go riding put a drop of spit on there to make sure its sealed. Big bubbles bad, small bubbles, its your call. 90% of the time i get no bubbles and a couple of times it took 2 tries to get a seal.

Ok can someone explain to me why superglue works better after i spit on the hole? Both times i didn't get a seal was when i applied it to a dry tire rather than one i got wet to pin point the leak.

I still carry a spare tube just in case i get a sidewall tear and i patch the tire from the inside when i get home.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ratt said:
I don't want to mess with the mess of Stan's goop so I use superglue. Keep the tire seated on the rim, find the hole, put one drop on, wait about 2 minutes, and pump it up. Before you go riding put a drop of spit on there to make sure its sealed. Big bubbles bad, small bubbles, its your call. 90% of the time i get no bubbles and a couple of times it took 2 tries to get a seal.

Ok can someone explain to me why superglue works better after i spit on the hole? Both times i didn't get a seal was when i applied it to a dry tire rather than one i got wet to pin point the leak.

I still carry a spare tube just in case i get a sidewall tear and i patch the tire from the inside when i get home.
Just don't bring the superglue up to high altitudes...I went up to 10,000 feet recently to do the Cannell plunge ride in California and brought along the superglue and I think the air pressure caused the tube to break open in my pack and make a mess.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
EJBlur said:
Just don't bring the superglue up to high altitudes...I went up to 10,000 feet recently to do the Cannell plunge ride in California and brought along the superglue and I think the air pressure caused the tube to break open in my pack and make a mess.
I've had mine at the top of Mammoth with no problems

·
Registered
25 Posts
Super glue drays with humidity from the air. When you spit on the hole you speedup the process.
Super glue is hard when is dray and leavs only thin film i think is not god for rubber. Super glue should be used to connect hard surfaces not soft and flexible like tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.