Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the tubeless game. When racing, does anybody ever pack a tube for backup? What kind of a tear or puncture is required to cause a flat? Will a tube even work with this knd of a hole?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
carry tubes as precaution

Victor said:
New to the tubeless game. When racing, does anybody ever pack a tube for backup? What kind of a tear or puncture is required to cause a flat? Will a tube even work with this knd of a hole?

Thanks
you have to pack 2extra tubes when racing. it only takes a pinhole puncture to cause a flat. Tubeless tires usually are very good unless you choose a really thin model for racing then your chance of getting a flat increase significantly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've only got 240 miles tubeless. No problems so far! ( knock on my little wood'n head! :D )

I carry a tube and duct tape for repairs. I'm running sealant as well. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
my personal experience

I've used tubeless for four years, 2 years this summer also with Stan's sealant in the tires. I've tried more than a couple brands of tire, on both Mavic and Bontrager rims.

I've had 2 flats since going tubeless, both before using Stan's. This time period includes a couple dozen races and I don't know how many hundreds of miles (I just put on a computer this month!). One of the flats was totally my fault: I had my front tire inflated below the recommended minimum psi and it rolled off the rim. The second was from multiple goathead punctures. It leaked slowly. The same tire was later usable with sealant plugging the holes, no patch needed; there were many holes, but they were small.

I still ride with an extra tube in my backpack, and a patch kit for that tube, but since running UST + sealant, I have not had occasion to use it. The worst tubeless flats I have heard about here on this board and elsewhere seem to typically involve massive sidewall tears and things like that that would have flatted any tire. On balance, as has been my own limited experience, with a proper tubeless setup you should have to worry about flats less.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Talk about some preventive rider! :D
I got to WALK home after cutting a sidewall.... 5 miles. I'm hoping to avoid that again! :D
I live next to an old Norba race course and it's not uncommon for me to be 10 to 15 miles from home. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Torn tire

Victor said:

Thanks
I've got 2 bikes, one with mavic tubless rims (UST) and one with 717s and stans. The UST hold air pressure longer weeks vs days but are heavier than the 717s. I've got 300-350 on the UST FirePros and 200-250 on Conti Gravities 2.3 with Stans. Both work great with the nod going to Conti with Stans for less weight and better traction and grip, however a very sharp rock sliced the sidewall from bead to knobby on the rear Conti, I booted it with a power bar wapper put in a new tube and rode home slowly with 10-12 lbs of air in it.
I carry a pump, tube and thick boots from the sidewall of the Conti now. For racing I'd try a sealent filled instaflate, booting was not a quick repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.